Camera Security - Car

sublimelbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For me surf photography is number one on the list. This also conflicts with actually surfing, which i will have to do either before/after taking pictures. Seeing as how the waves only get good a few times a month for a few hours each time, there is no time to be racing back and forth to my house. After just spending over $2000 dollars on camera equipment, as i'm sure many of you have far succeeded, I am worried about leaving my car unattened to surf wit the camera inside. I was thinking of getting a lockbox and bolting it to the floor in the trunk, with a lock on it. Does anyone have any better ideas or have any systems of your own? Thanks for any input.

well, i think most of us know similar occasions, where we want the camera nearby in the car, but cannot spend any attention to the car ... i think if you are in that situation often, get a box like you mentioned. if only occasionally, then leave it in the boot (trunk), where it cannot be seen from outside. and try to do things (surfing) before you do the photography ... so then people only see your camera before you are going to leave anyway.

hmm, here i am currently, we do not even lock the car, no matter what is in it ;) I just left my tele lens and various other gear in the boot
without locking it. but there aren't many areas on this planet where this would work!

I have the best idea DON'T LEAVE YOUR CAMERA IN YOUR CAR. this the only way you can ever be secure with your camera in your car. There is no way to truly keep someone from stealing your camera from your car. I know this is tough to hear but it is the truth you will have to make a choice between surfing and shooting or jusr be willing to risk loosing your camera jus have good insurance and try to carry waterproof cases for your memory cards so if your camera does get stolen you don't lose the images from that day's shooting.

hmm, here i am currently, we do not even lock the car, no matter what is in it ;) I just left my tele lens and various other gear in the boot without locking it. but there aren't many areas on this planet where this would work!

where are you parked?
and what is your license number?

And the lord said unto thee, let there be one amoung you that shall for the collection of money, guarentee the safety of or replacement there to of the property of others taken by flood, fire, theft and clumslyness. And unto him shall be bestowed the name of insurance agent.

Ok, enough sillyness. You can not put anything like a lock box in a vehicle that someone can not get into if they want to. In fact, those nice big lock boxes that construction workers put in the bed of their trucks scream "Valuable Items Inside." Yes they help in populated areas but when isolated they become a target. Here are some of the best ways to make sure things like your camera do not go missing with out a lot of problems.

1. Out of sight, out of knowledge. Not just the camera, anything of value. A thief is not usually going to waste their time breaking into a vehicle to see if they can find something. Leave your cellphone, billfold, camera bag etc in site and they have a target. Put them in the trunk if you have one. If you have something like an suv, pull the hatch cover closed so it can not be seen etc. You get the picture.

2. Lock the freaking car. I know this sounds stupid, but as a 25 year law enforcement officer you can not believe how many burglary to auto cases I have worked when people tell me the car was locked and I walk up and find that it was not. Opps. Insurace agents hate that. It's like giving it away.

3. Take only what you need when you go somewhere. I am amazed to see that some people seem to live in their vehicles. Do you really need all that crap on the back seats etc. Was it that hard to carry that briefcase into the house last night? I don't care if the purse is empty, take it out of the car. Again, if your car is clear inside the viewable areas of stealable items thieves will usually pass it by.

4. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't put your camera gear in the trunk or where ever you are going to store it with Al Capone and his gang around. For just a couple of minutes, quit looking at the hottie in the Micro Thong bikini, shut up and tell the story of your last adventure to your friend later or quite staring at the really rad dude hanging 10 in the pipeline blindfolded and see what is going on around you. If you do not like the looks of someone take stock of that. Walk away for a few minutes until they are gone, then put your stuff away.

5. If you don't now, call your insurance agent or any insurance agent and see about getting an insurance policy on your camera. Do not rely on your car insurance or home owners insurance. They both have a deductable #1 and #2 any claim on them can raise your rates and or deductable. For $70 a year I have a seperate policy on my camera gear. It is $10 for every $1000 you have in gear. No deductable, and covers theft, loss and butter fingers (damage). I have not used it yet, but the knowledge that it is there gives me peace of mind.

Ok, about that dude hanging ten blindfolded in the pipeline. Stare at him. I want to see that done once too. :lol:

The last time I was working (i know a dirty four letter word) I carried my camera gear in a canvas tool bag like carpenters use. I often run in for a coke on the way to or from a job. My thinking was if a man sees a tool satchel he knows it is tool.. A man who works with those type tools most likely didn't need to steal them. And they have no resale value to speak of. At least not like a bag of cameras.

Not sure why but I never had anything stolen from a car except a tape player.

where are you parked?
and what is your license number?

Ängesbyn, Norrbotten, Sweden.

No need to give you the number, it is the only German car parked there ... and one of the very few cars there anyway ;)

Much more bear and elk here than humans.

Put the camera stuff in Mcdonalds bags and leave them on the floor of the car. I'm semi serious on that one.

Or get a gun safe for the car. These things are THE most secure boxes you can put in --and by "put in" I mean weld to the frame-- your car. .

You will also want to get a good alarm system that will let out the loudest possible siren (at LEAST 150dB).

I have a pro acquaintance who carries his stuff in beat-up plastic coolers.

In Germany people even break into cars for the cheapest rubbish.

a friend of mine got his car broken into (they broke the door window) and got some of his old music tapes stolen ...

ok, what if they steal the car?

oops, expensive vehicle, expensive safe, expensive whatever-the-heck-you-got-in-there all gone.

Decisions, decisions..

Put the camera stuff in Mcdonalds bags and leave them on the floor of the car. I'm semi serious on that one.
Oh don't do that around here. Thats what the drug dealers use to tranport ounces pounds and kilos in. If it is a Macie bag and it looks like it has a shape other than wadded up, that can get your car broken into.

Or get a gun safe for the car. These things are THE most secure boxes you can put in --and by "put in" I mean weld to the frame-- your car. .
Best gun safe made that you can put into the trunk of a car I can be into in less than 15 seconds. They are not that tough. And no we are not talking explosives here.

You will also want to get a good alarm system that will let out the loudest possible siren (at LEAST 150dB).

Ooohhh I want to see your neighbors at 3:00 a.m. when a stiff breeze sets that thing off. Car alarms are not bad, unfortunately they go off so often for no good reason that most people do not pay attention to them any more.

In Germany people even break into cars for the cheapest rubbish.

a friend of mine got his car broken into (they broke the door window) and got some of his old music tapes stolen ...

He should have refered to rule #3 above.

thanks for all the advice. I agree that i shouldn't leave the camera in the car, but thats something i'm going to have to work with. Thanks for all the advice. Its not so much going to new places, because then people don't know i have a camera in my trunk. Its moreso at my local beach, when i pull up everyone there is gonna know this is "the camera kid." Its one of the most popular beaches around with a packed out parking lot. I would hope that any kind of lockig system will deter the hit and run burgalar. Also i'm guessing that most common car thiefs would be incapable of getting into a secure case, such as the gun case mentioned, if it was bolted to the floor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back