Camera Settings Help

Jim Stafford

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting motorsports. Why don't I want to max out the internal sharpness, contrast, etc settings in my Canon XTI? I have a shoot this afternoon so some quick and informative feedback would be a big help. The weather is looking wet and dreary, I can use all the help I can get.

Because to have the most control of image quality you want to shoot in RAW and in post processing look at each image and determine what it needs in terms of contrast, sharpening, saturation and other considerations.

Set-up your camera with those settings and take a few JPEG shots out your front door and see what they look like.

I just keep it on standard, then Unsharp mask in Photoshop

Ideally, you want to think about a good shutter speed and aperture, composition, etc. at the time of exposure and then, since your working digitally, worry about the post processing, as Keith stated, after the fact when you have the luxury of time to consider each change. doing this also allows you to try different changes and compare results, but when this is done in-camera you're stuck with the choices you made at the time of exposure even if later they turn out not to be the best choices...

- Randy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back