Camera Shake

phoenix83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I am a new photographer still learning the basics somewhat, my question is how can I reduce camera shake without using a tripod while shooting portrait shots on location on the go. I shoot with with a canon XTI and have noticed when trying to shoot faster around my subject most shots come out blurry my lens is the canon 28-90 but is not equiped with IS

IMG_2218.jpg

Make your shutter faster (125 min for subjects like babys)
Make your ISO higher (800, 1600 for night)
Open your shutter more (low aperature of f 2.8, 3.5, 5.6 etc)

If I open my shutter more will i still blur the background or will it all come more clear sorry bout not knowing ahead of time

Your EXIF data (thanks for posting a photo! :))

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Image Date: 2008:05:25 09:09:44
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 90.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)

Aperture: f/11.0
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Basically that's way too slow of a shutter speed to be able to handhold a shot without hand shake blur at 90mm. The reciprocal rule says you'll generally need at least "1/focal length" for your shutter speed, so about 1/90s in this case. For portraits feel free to shoot the lens wide open at f/5.6. That's two stops and would take you up to about 1/60s, still a bit slow. Next you crank up the ISO by 1 or 2 stops to either 200 or 400. That'll get you to either 1/125s or 1/250s, both of which should be plenty for hand holding ability and for a subject that's posing and knows to hold still.

i was gonna say lay off the mountain dew and starbucks. :p however the two previous posts nailed it on the head.

open up the aperture, increase the iso, remember the lens speed against your focal length rule, also with ISO, be make sure you don't have a lot of noise.

and........ a lil flash never hurt.

hope this helped.

Hi, I am not sure what your budget is but canon sells a couple of fast 50 mm lenses at a really good price. You can get an f1.8 for 100 or less depending on where you buy. They are very light and compact lenses and are great for portraits. The lenses have a large (wide open) aperature that means you use a shorter shutter speed. Another way besides all of the great advice so far offered is to make sure you keep your elbows in when shooting and hold your camera with two hands, one hand should be cupping the undersurface of your lens and rest the camera against your face when shooting. You can also lean against something to give you extra support. There are also monopods that are useful to cart around as they are light weight and compact You can attach it to your camera bag or carry it in a purse. When or if you can afford it lenses with image stabilization help to combat the dreaded shakes

He`s taking pics at F/11. By bringing that down to F/4 to F/8, his shutter speed will increase dramatically. If its still too slow, increase lighting (flash) and increase shutter speed.

If I open my shutter more will i still blur the background or will it all come more clear sorry bout not knowing ahead of time

If you open the shutter more (smaller "f-number"), your background will be more blurred.

The shot that you posted was approximately a tenth of a second at f/11. Much too slow for hand-holding. Try 1/60 second or even 1/125. Naturally, you'll need to open the aperture to compensate.

And, there's the way you press the release button.

Don't try to snatch.
Inhale, breath out some, hold your breath, and press
the release button softly.
Make sure that only your finger moves.

If you do it in a twiching movement, your whole arm moves,
and shakes the camera.

Thanks I will try the smaller aparture and also make sure I keep the elbows at my side. But I do plan on checking into that 50mm lens too hopefully I can post better results when I do

No, don't hold your breth, that will actuay amplify the shake, release the shutter right at at the top of your breath or the bottom as you breath normaly.

That might help, but I think buying a book on the basics of photography would help him more with his camera shake

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Image Date: 2008:05:25 09:09:44
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 90.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)
Aperture: f/11.0
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

ISO - 400
Aperture - 5.6

At that point the shutter speed for that shot is what? at least 1/125

Hey look, I didn't read most of the thread and posted what some one else already has. Strange...I didn't know that could happen.

Got an AUTO setting? If you're new( like I am) it might help to set the thing on "action" or whatever the auto setting is for your camera and go with that just to get some shots for comparison....but I guess you're wanting to do it the manual way, and obviously there's nothin' wrong with that either.

I try to take the shot on the end of a breath...remember to breathe, actully - cause if you're all tense and you're holding your breath or not breathing normally, it'll up your heart rate and takin a calm, blur-free photo will be harder.

Originally Posted by Ben-71
"Inhale, breath out some, hold your breath, and press"
Battou
No, don't hold your breth, that will actuay amplify the shake, release the shutter right at at the top of your breath or the bottom as you breath normaly.

You use a Canon. I use a Nikon. That's different... :wink:

Thanks I will try the smaller aparture and also make sure I keep the elbows at my side. But I do plan on checking into that 50mm lens too hopefully I can post better results when I do

Just want to make sure you understand. Basically you need a larger aperture, not smaller. But the Aperture Setting (A) you see on your camera should be smaller. For example, "F 1/4 = F4", "F 1/11 = F11" However, Aperture of F4 is larger than F11 (1/4 is larger than 1/11)

Larger Aperture allow more light to pass through at a given time. Since more light is passing through, so you can have a faster shutter speed setting and still have enough light for proper exposure.

Most reactions

Back