Camera upgrade 180

Photomonger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, This is my first post here! And I already feel at home (you guys all seem deceptively friendly I'm sure)

So I've been shooting with my puny little Digital Rebel and have been contemplating upgrading for a while now. I was going to wait till I could afford the 5D in another couple of months, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get some decent glass if I blew all my wad on the body, so the xti seemed like my only option.

Then... A revelation! Who needs digital? Well, I do for business stuff (in-house photographer for a little graphic design studio). But for the fine-art shots where my heart lies but my schedule doesn't allow too much, Film would be a great choice. I could get a descent film body for a descent price. So I just happened to find a nice used Elan 7e (w/ the vertical/power grip) and snatched it up.

I just realized that I let my fingers run away with my words there!

My question is this:

I'm going to still be doing the portrait and product stuff with my digital (my boss likes instant results) but I would like to take a few shots of each pose/product w/ my film camera. Now, as I have up till this point been solely digital I have been able to check the histo. and know how I was doing. With my settings figured out w/ my digital camera will I get comparable results if I set my film camera to the same?

Gosh, I just re-read my post and realized how stupid this question is :er:

Maybe I just wanted to introduce myself. I dunno, no response necessary. I'll post some of my first pictures with my film camera if I get anything worth posting.

Cheers!

Ooh, you'll get responses from the pro folks here... ;) Meanwhile a warm welcome to TPF.

Welcome to the forum :)

With my settings figured out w/ my digital camera will I get comparable results if I set my film camera to the same?

No, since "dynamical range" on film and sensor are different (also different between different sensors and different film). Your highlights might be blown out on the sensor, when they are not yet on the film, or the other way round.

But if you always use the same film, you might develop a feeling of how your digital histogram translates into film.

Welcome to TPF!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back