Filters for travel photography

amxc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a bridge Panasonic FZ1000MkII, for general (and occasional) photography (landscape, monuments, churches, people).
I used to have some basic filters in my film camera, years ago: UV (lens protection as well as Ultra-violet), polarizer and some gradient (either neutral or coloured)
Now, in digital photography, I am thinking of a polarizer. I will get nothing regarding gradient ( possibly I could do it through edition software) or ND. But, how about UV (to protect the lens)?

I would appreciate opinions on that.

Thanks

Check prices on quality 62mm polarizers. A spare battery might be money better spent. YMMV, as always.

Polarizer for sure. Skip the UV, I use a lens hood (mine are metal) instead to protect the lens from bumps and it keeps the sun off the lens as well.

Polarizer for sure. Skip the UV, I use a lens hood (mine are metal) instead to protect the lens from bumps and it keeps the sun off the lens as well.
ok, thanks. I will check a lens hood for the FZ1000II

Check prices on quality 62mm polarizers. A spare battery might be money better spent. YMMV, as always.
Sure, I will check batteries, Panasonic "original" costs 60EUR, whereas other brands are in 25-25EUR range

Unless you're using the camera in really hectic conditions, never put a clear filter over that beautiful factory glass.

Unless you're using the camera in really hectic conditions, never put a clear filter over that beautiful factory glass.
Yes , it makes sense. The less, the better

I started in film many years ago, when UV light was a problem. When I went to digital, old habits are hard to break, it took awhile for me to give up the UV filter. 🙄 As mentioned earlier a lens hood is more practical now.

I have multiple polarizers and frankly I don't use them much. They're only most effective when the light is at 90 degrees. I do use 4x6 gradient filters in a Conkin holder, that allows stacking 3 filters and adjusting as required, to lower the DR to an acceptable range.

Last edited:
A polarizer is an absolute necessity for close quarter water shots. I wouldn't shoot a waterfall without one. I just use Hoya, easy to find and do a great job.

I carry a polarizer and a variable ND 2-400 with me, although I don't use them very often, but when there is a situation that warrants one or the other, then I'm glad I have them.

And now for an opposing viewpoint... by the way, a good sunshade will do wonders too, I think it's a matter or history and or personal likes or preferences. I'm a UV filter kind of guy. I don't see something, at the end, that saves my lens or keeps the dirt off or that if I'm outside, and most of what I do, is outside, harms anything. It is possible to get some nasty unwanted reflections. But if there's a smudge, it's on the filter, not that beautiful factory glass. I can wipe it off with mt shirt, and not worry that I ruined the lens.

I'm pretty good at being careful, not dropping cameras or wacking them against things as I walk. Stone from a car, kicking it up off the road course.

uv-filter.jpg

Camera on a tripod, (I was standing back a safe distance with a remote) train photos, unexpected high speed freight came past at 90MPH on the closer track, and the wind blew it over. I still use that lens.
another lens saved cracked filter.jpg

I'll keep using filters. :loyal:

And now for an opposing viewpoint... by the way, a good sunshade will do wonders too, I think it's a matter or history and or personal likes or preferences. I'm a UV filter kind of guy. I don't see something, at the end, that saves my lens or keeps the dirt off or that if I'm outside, and most of what I do, is outside, harms anything. It is possible to get some nasty unwanted reflections. But if there's a smudge, it's on the filter, not that beautiful factory glass. I can wipe it off with mt shirt, and not worry that I ruined the lens.

I'm pretty good at being careful, not dropping cameras or wacking them against things as I walk. Stone from a car, kicking it up off the road course.

View attachment 272759

Camera on a tripod, (I was standing back a safe distance with a remote) train photos, unexpected high speed freight came past at 90MPH on the closer track, and the wind blew it over. I still use that lens.
View attachment 272760

Uuppppps, good point! I was in the beach the other day (well in a terrace, 5 m away from the sand), and just didn't take my camera... day was a little windy and I was

View attachment 272759

View attachment 272760

I'll keep using

View attachment 272759

View attachment 272760

Yep! I can not afford to replace my lenses, and while I can't protect them from a charging rhino, I can make sure that my $1K lens doesn't get cracked or chipped. I did find out that you can stop a rhino from charging by taking it's credit card asway, though...

ok, thanks. I will check a lens hood for the FZ1000II
Note that a rigid hood will be most effective only at a zoom lens' shortest focal length. A viable solution may be a rubber hood that offers 2 or more lengths. They can be a hassle, and are not for everybody..

Most reactions

Back