Camera with date in the pic and filename manipulation?

dannym

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
1. I'm searching for a camera that is able to write the date in one of the corners of the picture?

2.Are there any cameras available where you can change the filename or have another feature to group pictures?
Because the content of my photos is very similar, but they belong to different groups. When I'm later at home and transfer them to the PC and all files have the same filename I can't remember anymore where one group ends and where the next begins.

Im pretty sure just about all modern cameras can do this. I wouldnt let it decide what camera to get.

1. I'm searching for a camera that is able to write the date in one of the corners of the picture?

I'd strongly encourage you NOT to do this. Nothing ruins a good picture like the date and time permanently fixed in yellow in the corner of the frame.

2.Are there any cameras available where you can change the filename or have another feature to group pictures?
Because the content of my photos is very similar, but they belong to different groups. When I'm later at home and transfer them to the PC and all files have the same filename I can't remember anymore where one group ends and where the next begins.

This, I'm not sure of. Do you already have a camera or are you looking for a new one that does this? You could always buy many memory cards (1GB perhaps?) instead of a couple big ones. They're ridiculously cheap online and you could simply change cards when you're changing groups of pictures. Then maybe number your cards and keep a notepad with the list of which card goes with which group.

Now, if simply adding the date to the file name is what you're after, there might be software programs you already have that can do that. If you have a Mac, then maybe Automater. (I'm not sure if a PC has a similar program.) You could also use Photoshop I'm sure, if you have it. I use Aperture to rename my files when I import them. It's an easy way to group the images by the event then date, cause that's how I have them named.

However, as far as doing this within the camera. I'm not sure.

One way to deliminate the groups is by taking a piece of paper and writing on it the name of the group and probably date. Take a picture of the paper with that info on it and, voila, you now can see where one group ends and the other starts.

For the record EVERY camera records the shooting date and time in the EXIF data of the image. This is a non destructive way to record the stats. You can access them by right clicking clicking properties and then selecting summary in windows.

Most reactions

Back