Can a Canon Pro 1 mix it with the best DSLR ?

Would i be correct in assuming a Canon D30 or any other similar DSLR would produce a much better photo with less grain than the ones taken with Powershot Pro 1 ?

Secondly, who can steer me in the right direction with regards to automotive photography, i.e. the photos of cars that appear to be moving around corners similar to those seen in car brochures etc ?
Is it all photoshop ?

Would i be correct in assuming a Canon D30 or any other similar DSLR would produce a much better photo with less grain than the ones taken with Powershot Pro 1 ?

Secondly, who can steer me in the right direction with regards to automotive photography, i.e. the photos of cars that appear to be moving around corners similar to those seen in car brochures etc ?
Is it all photoshop ?

1. Technically, it's not grain but, rather, electrical noise. The major reason is the physical size of the sensor. Small sensors have small pixels. Small pixels are conducive to electrical noise. ANY dSLR will produce shots with less electrical noise than ANY PhD (Push here, Dummy) camera for several reasons, including the presence of a much larger sensor.

2. If you're interested in night-time automotive shots, you want to buy a dSLR, such as the Nikon D80, that supports rear-curtain flash sync.

If you're worried about electrical noise, I'd get the biggest sensor you can which will either be the 5D (great prices now because of the possibility of a successor), or the full frame 1d MkII (can't remember exactly which one here...one of the mkII's is full frame)...I believe Nikon has also recently released a full-frame camera, but you said you were a Canon guy so it doesn't really matter. The full-frame will also allow you to use wider angler lenses with greater efficiency, meaning you can be closer to the car when taking pictures. This is great when at a show where there may be things in the way that limit you from being able to back far away from the car.

So to get back to my original idea of purchasing a DSLR, what would be a good one to get ?
I am a Canon person and i cant afford a 1D mkIII so please dont state the obvious, lol.

Im looking for one that has more bang for buck, if you know what i mean.

If your experience with Canon to this point is a P&S, I don't really understand why you are a Canon person. I currently shoot Nikon but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use a Coolpix when I somebody asked me to take a picture at a party (slight exaggeration). Extreme brand loyalty is kind of silly. You don't have a big bag of lenses yet (I assume) so go out and shop around.

On the flip side, Canon does make a great product. If you really have your heart set on them, my humble suggestion is to get a used body or one of the cheaper Rebels etc, invest in good glass up front, and upgrade the body later. Even the cheapest Canon dSLR is going to exponentially improve the technical quality of your photographs (you clearly already have the eye) :)

Well i got the Pro 1 when they first came out and since then i have pushed its limits and i currently still do. I like Canon for i am familiar with them but not religiously. I drove across Australia with my brother a while ago and we alternated between mine and his Nikon D70s but it was the first time for me using a DSLR and i couldnt use it properly. (hence i was used to the Pro 1.)

The biggest issue is price when upgrading to a DSLR. If i had the money i would have upgraded years ago but on the flip side, i wanted to see what the P&S Pro 1 can do, considering it too was not cheap.

I am very greatfull for the positive comments from you guys regarding my pics. Sometimes i just wish i had better equipment :(

Great photos! Just goes to show that any old camera in the hands of a great photographer with a good eye and the willingness to get out there and catch the good light can make fantastic photos. I used to be a globe-trotting P&S toting guy myself because back then DSLRs were still either too primitive or too expensive. To this day, some of the best photos I've made were with my ancient old digital P&S's because back then I was getting out more and was tied down less. :D

Some people here see noise, oversaturation, softness, etc. But I see great scenes, great light, great colors, and places I'd like to go now! So thanks for sharing! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back