Can anyone explain this photo abnormality please????

John131

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, want to ask if anyone can give me a good answer as to what this white mark/blob may be in this picture. (Feel free to direct me to a more suitable place to ask if this is not it).

The reason I ask is that someone is peddling this as evidence of a spiritual apparition or entity.

The same person frequently tells anyone who hears that dust motes which can be seen in pictures due to the flash are in fact 'spirit orbs'. I have even seen that a group of people were stating that an simple sun flare on a lens was in fact 'spiritual energy'.

Please help
White mark.jpg

Photo may not be of a large size as it originally had someone in it so I have cropped them out.

Thanks in advance!!!

Flare? Hard to tell with a cropped image.

I assumed it was some sort of flare. Problem is it was taken some time ago and I think I have since deleted it from the memory card it was saved to. As far as I could tell there was not much it could reflect off or similar. It was a sunny day. I guess I may never be able to say as a fact what it is, which is quite annoying when others are stating it as being something without any doubts or care for actual investigation.

I agree with sparky -- kind of hard to tell from just this.

If it's your photo, tell the other person to stop distributing it without permission. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much what others think about spirits, afterlife, and whatnot - everyone had their own beliefs and most are not going to change, regardless of any information one way or the other.

It's Derrel.

I think I could duplicate such an image by simply 'spraying' white on the image in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Then, alter the opacity a bit to fade out the white around the edges of the spray-job.

That's some sort of bright thing. Like a ghost. Or an idiot. Was your ghost-peddling friend in the the shot? Or nearby? This could be his aura reaching out to your camera and actually making the camera itself stupid.

480sparky said:
It's Derrel.

I AM indeed round, kind of blob-like, and very opaque...so, yeah, there is a resemblance to me!

The more I think about it, how do you know it isn't a spiritual entity?

It must, of course, be a spiritual entity, ghost, or UFO... because it's blurry. All blurry things in photos are either spirit entities, ghosts, or UFOs. <sigh>

There are lots of reasons why a white blob can show up in an image (some of which are deliberate -- and I do not discount the possibility of this.) If genuinely non-intentional, we'd still need to know more about the camera, lens, filters, time of day, location of lights, etc.

So what is more believable? The behavior and appearance of unknown "entities" of which we know nothing about and don't even know that they exist... OR... the KNOWN behavior of the human imagination -- about which we know QUITE a bit!

Those spiritualists are always so racist. Why is it never a black orb or black spirit energy?

Having spent quite a few hours monitoring security cameras I've seen the little white blobs on many occasions. The infrared lights on the camera reflect off of tiny, tiny little bugs or bits of debris right up close to the lens. Funny when it's a giant ant or moth.
The camera sends out a small light for focus or red-eye and that could reflect off a tiny thing right up at the lens. That tiny object would be blown out and give us a white blob...............

Most reactions

Back