Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Zachery, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Zachery

Zachery TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, as mentioned before I'm completly new to photgraphy. This morning I got up at 6am and drove 12 miles to take a picture of the sunrise. At first I used the Scene setting, and the picture came out ok. Then I tried using Manual, but this time I got nothing, just blackness! As far as I know I did everything by the book. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I really want to start using Manual more, if I can! Thanks in advance.

Z

2. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1) Buy or borrow the book understanding exposure.
    2) Read this Achieving correct exposure with aperture and shutter speed | DigicamGuides.com
    3) Most people get to grips with shutter priority and aperture priority (tv,av on a canon) before launching into full manual, they allow you to control either the aperture or the shutter speed and the meter works out the other. Its also good to know how the different metering modes in your camera work if you don't already, heres a very basic rundown of what they doExposure metering modes
    Remember that your not doing anything wrong, its just a steep learning curve. I often take black shots, you just gotta keep on experimenting and keep shooting. Oh yea, and always use a tripod.

3. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    good advice from jamesmason

things are black because you didn't have enough light. when you went to manual metering mode, where was the "arrow", it needs to be in the middle of the bar at the bottom of the screen.

4. Zachery

Zachery TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your replies. You're quite right, James, I'm probably trying to run before I can walk!

Z

5. DennyCrane

DennyCrane No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  6. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :addpics:

7. iolair

iolair No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you pick manual, the camera gives you full control of the settings and probably defaults to settings for photography in good sunlight. Do you know what ISO, shutter speed and aperture you had set?

As suggested above, using aperture priority or shutter priority lets you experiment, while the camera still has the control to ensure the shot comes out well lit. These modes are kind of "half manual" - you control one aspect only, so you can learn how that affects the image first.

Shooting in relative darkness like a sunrise or sunset, you probably also need to steady the camera on an object or use a tripod to prevent blurring - it could take a large fraction of a second to take the photo.

8. Zachery

Zachery TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, as I said in my message, there wasn't a picture because it came out black! Anyway, the kind advice I've been given here already shows that no picture was actually needed.

Z

9. Zachery

Zachery TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You have a point, Iolair, I think the ISO was wrong! I did use a tripod for the photo and like I said, the one on the Scene setting was fine.

10. Zachery

Zachery TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    black or not, it will show us the metadata which will give us information that will be more productive for you.

12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree - even a failed black shot can be a learning tool - and I think we will find that it wasn't nessessarily your ISO which was wrong.

Also when you upload to the net don't save it as a "save for web" if you use any photoshop product -otherwise the camera data will be stripped. Instead just resize it to under 1000 pixels on the longest side and save that as a jpeg.
    Also if your after critque on works do follow the link in my sig as well for some additional advice