Can someone challenge me??

YUP-- that is Chimney Rock and I think it is gross! I hate brown... poop is brown. LOL. Find me some GREEN!

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

At least y'all GOT mountains! :er:

There is that ;) They aren't mountains compared to the Rocky Mountains but they are pretty nice.

Edit ...
I rode my motorcycle to the Cherohala Skyway a few years ago. The Skyway is 41 miles of wide, twisty mountain roads connecting Tellico Plains, TN to Robbinsville, NC. It's a fun road to ride at any time, but this day it was over 90 degrees in Tellico Plains and when I got to the crest of the Skyway (5,390' MSL) it was 70 degrees. Here are a couple of photos to satisfy your "Green Craving". Lousy photos since they were shot with the bridge camera I carry on motorcycle trips. They also show how the Smoky Mountains got their name.

2009-06-20-15.jpg

2009-06-20-16.jpg

2009-06-20-17.jpg

Thanks for those...:heart:

I think you do not want to see anything to shoot so you will not see anything to shoot sunsets over the dessert is never brown sunset on the dune ohh god rolling thunnder storms farms markets trains the night sky all not brown there are bridges dams and lakes fish birds wild life of all kinds lots of bugs all not brown. I think you just want to be unhappy and pine for the city.
other spots to check out most would be a weekend trip:
The Reliance Tipple building (ghost town/mine)
Expedition Island (history trees and water)
White Mountain Petroglyphs (kid friendly?maybe)
Yellowstone National Park
Grand Teton National Park
Rock springs has an 100 year old Cemetery with green grass and trees unless the web tells lies

You might just be right. We don't get thunder storms... I miss those. Our farmer's market has everything shipped in from Colorado and California so we don't get the quaint little farmers and vendors, we get commercial farms. That cemetery you refer to is 100 years old but all of the old markers have been replaced with modern ones. Expedition Island does have water but it also has trailers and junk all around that sticks out in your photos. We have a beautiful park downtown but the surrounding homes are so run down and dirty that you can't really get good shots there.

I asked for a challenge, a topic, an assignment.... not for anyone to make me fall in love with the desert. I fully agree with you, I will never love this place for its scenery ever. Which is why I was looking for things like the alphabet challenge or the color challenge or the "this is WY" challenge. I don't need anyone to tell me what I already know, which is I think this place is ugly. But I'm not talking about the whole state... I'm talking about Rock Springs. If I drive 100 miles in any direction the scenery improves but with a toddler and no family here... 100 miles is usually out of the question.

Last edited:
And I shot the tipple, but its surrounded by chain-link fence so I'm not happy with any of the wide shots. Also its by a bunch of trailers so you can only shoot from the east.

........... If I drive 100 miles in any direction the scenery improves but with a toddler and no family here... 100 miles is usually out of the question.

Sounds like it's time for a vacation.

Git yessef to Cornpatch.... we got lots to shoot! (But not tomorrow morning... I gotta mow the yard.)

This thread is like a drunken rhinoceros on an icy road in a thick fog during rush hour.

*Sigh* I'll just have to go back myself and find the horses. hehehe

I'm in Oklahoma, I can see horses every day. But wild horses are way, way different. Especially a large group of them. If you've never seen that, then you've never really seen horses.

I think the most appropriate name for the challenge project here would be Wy, Oh Wy

...............e: I want a photograph that says, "This is Wyoming and nowhere else in the world."...........

How about a sign that says, "Welcome to Wyoming. Annual Wyoming Wind Festival: Jan. 1 - Dec. 31"

If that's your idea of what Wyoming "Is" then go for it.

You'd need to take that shot on I-80 and include either semi's pulled over because the road is closed or an RV with an awning that's partially pulled off from the wind to be realistic! :)

wyogirl - I feel your pain. I think the hardest thing about moving cross country is the loss of the familiar. You're homesick right now - for the people you know and love, for the scenery you're used to, for home. It almost sounds like you're afraid to let yourself see any beauty as if seeing the beauty where you are would invalidate the joy and beauty of home. I went through the same thing when we moved to Salt lake city. We realized after just a short time there that we wouldn't be there forever and we needed to take advantage of what the area had to offer before we ran out of time. You're an easy weekend trip from Yellowstone park, and from Jackson Hole (awesome skiing) or fly fishing on a small creek just across the border in Idaho(Those are all weekend trips we took from SLC). One of the things that SLC taught me was how to find the beauty wherever I am. Before SLC, I couldn't see the beauty in a bunch of red rocks, or a high mountain desert. Now I smile at the memory of an indian paintbrush giving a small burst of color amid a barren landscape. Sometimes we have to learn that there isn't just one definition of beauty. All of creation has beauty in it's own way. When you can learn to see the beauty in a barren landscape, you'll be able to appreciate a lush landscape that much more. Good luck.

I actually have a shot of a herd of 100 or so wild horses. But the shot was taken in noon day sun so its a little flat and doesn't capture the magic of the moment so to speak.

I def. need the middle of winter highway closed photo. Closing the highway was a huge surprise to me, we don't really do that for snow back east....even in white out conditions.

Most reactions

Back