Can someone explain this?

You are wasting your time worrying about Instagram likes. Put that energy toward your own photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a very black and white way of thinking. A business is full of grayscale. Again, my question wasn't "should I care about Instagram likes?"

My op was asking for suggestions on how this guy is doing it. You brought up a good point, Derrel. Though if that is the case, I wish that system would be a bit kinder to me lol.

I have an IG account that I've let go dormant. But I have read some articles on maximizing Likes on the platform, and leaving comments and Liking the work of other people is an essential aspect of building a following. But as far as garnering Likes, straight out: hashtagging photos with current, popular, frequently-searched and frequently-hit hashtags makes a HUGE difference in the Likes a photo can get. Maybe 18 months ago, I spent a week hashtagging a few posts; my Like numbers went up about 20-fold on average, even with my tiny number of followers. So...hashtagging works. But the guy you pointed us to? Lame hastags, not popular hashtags, and not long,long strings of popular hashtags, so....I dunno....you know my theory from earlier.

It's interesting to see how virulent so many older folks are when the subject of social media comes up. It's almost like those old folks who railed against ,"These danged computer printer machines, they'll never replace darkrooms! ", or "This infernal digital photography--it's a fad, I tell ya', just a fad!"

Does it matter how he does it?

I do think that a follower-base that builds itself up slowly and gradually is a base that actually DOES like your work and the likes actually mean something!

My numbers vary daily, I get followers who are just trying to bait me into following them back and if I don't oblige, they unfollow. I also notice that if I post a meh picture, I get meh results... from which I conclude that the people following me actually take an interest and give me honest feedback.

And I agree: good hashtags work. Very popular ones though? You sink down on the list and into anonymity fast because of the sheer number of posts using it.... (let's remember short attention spans and the unwillingness to scroll past the last few posts...)

Does it matter how he does it?

It "matters" because he doesn't have even 200 followers, yet he has over 200 likes on his photos. What the OP is asking, is how he gets people to view his photo and in return gaining likes. His hashtags are only linked to maybe 5-10 photos so it just doesn't make any sense based on what I know about instagram that he would have those likes. Unless like mentioned before he is asking for them on different social media platforms.

It's interesting to see how virulent so many older folks are when the subject of social media comes up. It's almost like those old folks who railed against ,"These danged computer printer machines, they'll never replace darkrooms! ", or "This infernal digital photography--it's a fad, I tell ya', just a fad!"

I've noticed that a lot here, too. Haha, I think it's kind of funny.

I know someone on YouTube who has 15,000 subs and his videos only get 90-150 views. Tell me that isn't strange? He clearly bought subscibers.

People have on Instagram too. Twitter as well.

So he could simply just be really good at the Instagram game or he bought likes/followers.

I have under 300 followers on Instagram and most of my photos get 60-100 likes. I dunno. Id rather have followers who enjoy seeing my content instead of having more followers and likes.

I know someone on YouTube who has 15,000 subs and his videos only get 90-150 views. Tell me that isn't strange? He clearly bought subscibers.

So he could simply just be really good at the Instagram game or he bought likes/followers.

I have under 300 followers on Instagram and most of my photos get 60-100 likes. I dunno. Id rather have followers who enjoy seeing my content instead of having more followers and likes.

I agree, quality is better than quantity.

I agree, quality is better than quantity.

And I'm not saying my photos are top notch quality like Peter McKinnon (his photos on instagram gets like 18,000 likes)...it's just I want REAL people following me, not bots. I hate bots!!

Most reactions

Back