Can someone please explain macro lenses to me

I apologize to the OP, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. I do appreciate all the comments. THANKS EVERYONE!

All of my Macros are taken with the Canon 100mm Macro. I do have some older shots in my gallery that were taken with the XT Kit lens and my 24-70. The first image was actually taken with my 100-400.

Davebmk - To my knowledge they are all prime.

Wow, those are amazing. What would be a good first macro lens for a D40? I assume to get a decent one, I would have to spend more than the body is worth?

The Nikon 105 f 2.8 ($700 +) I hear is great or the Sigma 105 ($400) . I think your D40 takes a special lens though. Not sure if they will work or not.

The good news is that Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR is an AF-S (meaning there's an auto-focus motor in the lens). Lenses that focus via a screw mechanism (like the 60mm f/2.8 AF) will not focus on a D40, because the body lacks the mechanical ability to focus these lenses. Edited to say that I believe these lens will work on your D40, you just won't have ability to autofocus.

By the way, the 105mm f/2.8 VR is a great macro lens - it's my second macro lens and I've pretty much retired the older lens I had - pricey but it's an AF-S and will work on your D40.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back