Can you help me with my flash?

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 30d and just bought the 430ex ii and I am having difficulty getting it to work. I am following the instructions-inset batteries set to ETTL and press the shutter half way and I don't get the Effective range displayed and the flash icon doesn't light up.

When I initially turn the flash on the pilot light doesn't turn to red-how long does it normally take to charge? and I cant fire a test flash-might I be doing something wrong? might the flash or camera be faulty,

Oh and I tried shooting in auto to see if that would get it working-but nothing happened.

any ideas or any links to idot guides for flash use would be appreciated

It should take a few seconds to charge up the first time. Maybe 5 to 10 seconds. When it's charged, the pilot light should turn red. You can press the pilot light to test fire the flash. If your pilot light is not coming on, I would check that you have your batteries installed in the correct sequence. It that doesn't help, it's probably a bad flash.

Ok well the pilot button wasn't lighting up at all but the lcd screen did display info.

I was using rechargeable batteries that I had from my previous camera.

Just got back from the store with regular batteries and straight away it lights up the pilot button and the flash works!!!!!!

NiMH rechargeable batteries, if that's what you have, loose power even when they are not being used. So you would need to give them a fresh charge before using them in something like a flash.

Most reactions

Back