Can you make anything, interesting? Something from nothing?

No. I've seen photographs that were an attractive design but not interesting.

I am constantly looking at things and wondering how I would take a photo that would best show it off, or make it interesting.
To me, that really makes a professional worth their salt. A professional in a studio can buy the worlds best beauty lighting, a fancy set, assistants, etc; to help get great shots. But I think the person that can get out there and turn that newspaper dispenser on the side of the street into something interesting, screams talent

Well I have slacked off on the "try to make soap interesting" challenge, but I'll try and focus on it this weekend.

I played with this real quick last night... It's not what I had in mind for a shot of "interesting soap"... but I'll put this up for now.
soap3.jpg

I painted it with a led light.

What my idea is, to have a clean container of water of some sort, with the shot of the side of the container focused on soap as it is poured in, under the water line... Not sure on the lighting, but I would think dark room, angled light.

That is some dramatic soap. I never would have thought to photograph it that way. Quite nice!

Seeing this makes me think of some magazine advertisements, where the product is photographed and made to appear attractive, with a certain mood about it. I imagine that describes the job of photographers in certain lines of work (product photography, for example): to make mundane objects appear attractive, beautiful, mysterious, interesting, eye-catching, etc. while still being recognizable as the object.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back