Can you say "cliche sunset photo?"

jhermes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Of course this is a cliche sunset photo but I still really like how it turned out. Taken at Breaks National Park in Virginia.

Canon 50D

4833690195_1ccffeda91_b.jpg

looks like an atomic bomb just went off before the mushroom cloud

I'm not a fan of it. What is it about the image that you like?

The sun is way too bright, seems that the shot was overexposed. The brightness of the image is removing some of the rich, darker colours in that sky. Personal choice though, I'd prefer to show the colours in sunsets.

There is also some lens flare going on that I'm not liking. The image seems to lack sharpness, specially when you look at the mountain side on the left or some of the leaves in the foreground

I do like the lines going up and down from the sun, and also the depth of the image and those cool mountains you see going off in the distance

Although I don't feel the composition of the shot was bad, I have to agree with bigtwinky.

The sun is pretty blown out, and it is clearly overexposed.

You may have been trying too hard to have everything in view exposed well.

This is not necessary, as you should be trying to make the sun itself the subject, and its the most important thing to be exposed properly.

The trees, etc. are just there for filler, and it doesnt matter much if they are quite dark.

It had potential in my opinion, if more care was taken on the exposure.

I feel that good exposure is critical for this type of shot, because as you can see its easy to mess up, plus you have loads of time.

The sun moves real slow overhead lol.

A thought I just had...

If you waited a bit longer, that may have helped to solve the overexposure problem, since the sun would have been less bright.

Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for the comments. I suppose I like the photo because of the memories it brings back. I actually didn't shoot this with my camera, and it was more of a snapshot then a well-thought out photo. Not to make excuses or anything :)

Neil S. - I agree that waiting until later would have been good, but believe it or not I actually didn't have the time. This was during a quick walk through the park. Thank you for your constructive criticism though I appreciate it very much.

Something has happened, probably in post-processing (contrast?) which has made some strong lines - looks like broken glass over the top of your frame.

I suppose I like the photo because of the memories it brings back.

It's really tough to disassociate your experience from the actual photo you captured (I"m still trying to learn this). There are various ways to help. To take it to the extreme, I know a top landscape photographer who puts away their negs/files for 6 months before they even look at them again - to take away any connection to actually being at the place, and edit the photos dispassionately.

Something has happened, probably in post-processing (contrast?) which has made some strong lines - looks like broken glass over the top of your frame.

I suppose I like the photo because of the memories it brings back.

It's really tough to disassociate your experience from the actual photo you captured (I"m still trying to learn this). There are various ways to help. To take it to the extreme, I know a top landscape photographer who puts away their negs/files for 6 months before they even look at them again - to take away any connection to actually being at the place, and edit the photos dispassionately.

I actually did nothing with the processing of this photo. Again this was only a borrowed camera, and I was just using the camera for a little while.

Thank you for the further advice. :)

Well....

The sunset is my favorite all time...
I love to see this scene to getting enjoyed and capture it in that precious moments to give them precious memories.......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back