Can you start of a successful business with this camera?

The equipment's not really an issue. Limited, sure, but I don't think anyone's saying you can't do perfectly OK baby photos with it.

I'd like to see some examples of your work. I've seen people with entry level equipment put many "photographers" with all of the latest and greatest equipment, including myself, to shame.

PS
I am not a professional photographer and i don't pretend to be one just because i'm on the internet.
Not even sure what a professional photographer is. I know most of the photographers around me don't make chit. Suppose you could call it a business it is better than a lemonade stand. I know little about commercial serious photography though. Imagine at some level (out of my league) it becomes a real serious business. Secondary income, partial incomes, barely keeping a roof over your head is relatively popular in this area.

legally i have two right now just like you. But that is on paper, they are virtually non existent. Tax deductions. Haven't been full scale in quite a few years.

Well, if that's the case, I can claim five.

I have only one business. Between my family, editing, emails, client meetings, marketing, maintain social media accounts, I have no time or energy to run another business.

legally i have two right now just like you. But that is on paper, they are virtually non existent. Tax deductions. Haven't been full scale in quite a few years.

Well, if that's the case, I can claim five.
Maybe you should. Tax deductions... i've written off tools, equipment, part of my house expense, printers (you just bought one of them right?) copier, vehicles (to a extent), cellphones, construction materials, insurance costs, those staples trips like you made, property taxes, legal fees,... etc. etc.

So, what happens when the IRS figures out you're claiming all these deductions, but have no income from these 'businesses'.

They usually will disallow all your deductions.

So, what happens when the IRS figures out you're claiming all these deductions, but have no income from these 'businesses'.

They usually will disallow all your deductions.
i have income, just not much. Maybe 15k a year right now? Pretty much non existant. When i was taking more deductions, i was bringing in a lot more $$$$$$$

i did have to pay them back like three k a couple years back though.

You need an accountant.
i had one. i fired him when my gross income started dropping and i started working for someone else more than myself. Actually had a part time book keeper at one point too. I don't care if i owe the i.r.s money. The interest rate is fairly reasonable. It gets cleared up fairly quick. Not much different than owing the bank money. well, except you spend a lot of time on hold on the phone and it can be kind of a p.i.t.a. But they are nice enough.

You fired your accountant because you started making less money?
CalvinBlink2.gif

Sorry, but your story sounds more like you're dodging taxes than anything else. And you apparently are good with this.

I'm done here.

You fired your accountant because you started making less money?
CalvinBlink2.gif

Sorry, but your story sounds more like you're dodging taxes than anything else. And you apparently are good with this.

I'm done here.
yes, as income drops, overhead has to as well. I dropped insurance coverage limits too. I refuse to spend ten k a year when i am only making 15 k a year. It isn't even logical. Much like your list. The numbers don't add up. When i do business it is to make money. Not to pretend i have a business.

All it takes is one fine!

But I don't know you or your business, maybe you're on top of it enough to avoid fine territory.

But I don't know you or your business, maybe you're on top of it enough to avoid fine territory.
i run pretty legit. I have pushed the limits before, but more a matter of the little details nothing like outright tax fraud. There has been times they owed me money and i didnt even claim everything i could have, as it wasnt enough to warrant the headache of claiming it.

Just to ad. Too poor to worry about the idealist technicalities as well. Geez man, i am a poor schmoe. Kids to feed and college funds to put money in to. I have to start paying out family medical coming up there goes a couple k a month right there. Already have a 1400 dollar bill sitting here on my current medical plan. Frig the accountant. All comes down to food on the table and what comes in the door.

Last edited:

Just to ad. Too poor to worry about the idealist technicalities as well. Geez man, i am a poor schmoe. Kids to feed and college funds to put money in to. I have to start paying out family medical coming up there goes a couple k a month right there. Already have a 1400 dollar bill sitting here on my current medical plan. Frig the accountant. All comes down to food on the table and what comes in the door.
You're not exactly making the case that you were actually very successful at making and running and growing a business, with that description of your current state of affairs. Great to have you doling out your advice to others though, I guess...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back