Canon 1000D

One reason that comes to mind is Shelf Space Occupancy. Sony is driving a strategy that puts them in the Big Box retailers with three almost identical cameras, and Nikon has two. Canon only had one, so they added another in the low-end to add "choices" for the consumer.

It's also leveraging existing technology.

Also, dSLRs are all the rage, and why not have lots of products on offer?

Why have multiple production lines producing nearly identical products like Pentax does with the *ist D, *ist Ds, *ist Dl etc? It is just taking up too much production costs to produce different models that differ only slightly and which need different parts. Might as well standardise and cut costs.

If Canon used ONE battery and applied to to their entire range then they could make ONE charger and all the fittings would be standard. Their costs would be lower and thus they could make more profit. IMHO they could have put a 4xAA or 4xAAA battery holder into the camera and then done like Nikon did with their 995 and make a custom battery that would fit in the same space but provide more power. Nikon's995 ran on an ENEL1 or a 2CR5. Handy to have a backup but I used the ENEL1 most of the time.

Why have multiple production lines producing nearly identical products like Pentax does with the *ist D, *ist Ds, *ist Dl etc? It is just taking up too much production costs to produce different models that differ only slightly and which need different parts. Might as well standardise and cut costs.
I don't think they overlap.

*ist D = Feb 03
*ist Ds = Sep 04
*ist Dl = Jun 05

What you might be observing is an overlap between newer models and older models still in stock. Older models do have something to offer to those bargain hunters. I would guess that by the time we see a newer model on the shelf, the old model has been out of production for several months already. The manufacturing line has already been retooled for the latest model and the older models are just stock piled in a warehouse.

If Canon used ONE battery and applied to to their entire range then they could make ONE charger and all the fittings would be standard.

For a long time that was the case. The batteries from the D30 (3.2mp DSLR) stayed through the D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D, and 40D. The same battery was also used in the G1, G2, G3, G5, and G6. Battery type change has only occurred recently probably for increasing demand on internal body space and power demands.

IMHO they could have put a 4xAA or 4xAAA battery holder into the camera and then done like Nikon did with their 995 and make a custom battery that would fit in the same space but provide more power. Nikon's995 ran on an ENEL1 or a 2CR5. Handy to have a backup but I used the ENEL1 most of the time.

Actually Pentax does that already. Their K100D and K200D and previous *iST incarnations all used AA batteries. IMO this is was a good feature since the battery can be found almost anywhere.

I can only repeat what I said .... image quality cannot be judged by specs.

we need some objective testing.

You, sir, are obviously wrong. From what I hear there are many people on dpreview's website that have already bought the camera. :lol: JK

Merely looking at the specs, this looks identical to the Nikon D80 (although with the fancy features, more like a D80x) (NOT trying to start a brand war). 3FPS, 10.1 megapixels, some technological gibberish, 7-point AF (although I think the D80 is 9), more gibberish, ISO 1600 max (although I think the D80 has a 3200 equiv.), and some more gibberish.

Seems like an interesting model, though. We'll have to wait until some proper shots come out to see what really sets this apart from the 350D, 400D, and 450D. Speaking of which, why not the 500D? Does Canon speak in base 5? 1, 2, 3, 4, 10. Seems normal. :p

This camera slots below the 450D, so calling the 500D wouldn't make sense. The 500D will be an evolution of the 450D.

Rebel XT (350D) :Rebel XTi (400D) ::
Rebel XS (1000D): Rebel XSi (450D)?

Maybe from a linear standpoint it would be better thinking to assume the 450D is actually a 500D in technology, and this will be a 450D (If you're wanting to keep everything in order number wise, that is)? So in other words it will fall somewhere between the 400D and 450D in terms of technology, features, and price (that is, once people start getting them and whatnot).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back