Canon 1DX Raw Vs Jpeg

terry7cook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I shot this picture today and saved two files to different cards the raw+jpeg.
I set my sharpness all the way up among few other settings that don't matter right now. (On camera)

When I view both files through AcdSee, It's more than clear that the Raw file is much sharper than the jpeg. Look on the girls faces, their clothing and etc.

How do you explain that? Doesn't it suppose to be the opposite? What if I don't want to edit my files and want it straight out of camera, I want to get the best quality possible....

You can donwnload both files from here
http://www.filedropper.com/canon1dx

None of the "settings" you select in the camera menus apply to RAW images. Those are adjustments to the camera's processing when producing JPEGs.

RAW is RAW. Period.

An exception might be when using ViewNX software from Nikon, as I believe it does account for camera selections as it brings the images onto the screen. For example, if you used a SCENE mode of monochrome, the RAW file is still full color in Photoshop or Lightroom, but a JPG made by the camera would be B&W. ViewNX will show you a B&W picture in either case.

I don't know if Canon has similar software for pulling RAW files with camera adjustments.

When I look at the images in Photoshop, the JPG is very much sharper, even over-sharpened. First attachment is from your JPG, second from your RAW.

Attachments

• EGR_4321-crop.jpg
    EGR_4321-crop.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 304
  • EGR_4321-raw-crop.jpg
    EGR_4321-raw-crop.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, I understand now that AcdSee do change the picture and shows it as it was a Jpeg although it's raw.
Thanks!

Most reactions

Back