Canon 24-70mm f2.8L vs Canon 24-105mm f4L IS

ChopstickHero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Somebody convince me which one is better! :mrgreen:

I've read alot about them and I've seen some comparison shots already, but i'm still having a tough time deciding. I know they are both great lenses, but it's down to either the faster f or the IS. I'm leaning towards the 24-105mm b/c of the IS and greater range, but i know the 24-70mm looks sharper when slightly stopped down. Size and weight is not much of an an issue. Cost wise, these lenses are pretty close, so that is not a factor either.

To give you an idea of what i shoot, i like to do candid shots, portraits, outdoor urban city, streetscapes, cars, outdoor landscapes, etc. I do some indoor photography, but nothing formal, just at gatherings, meets, etc.

If you have these lenses and they work for you, gimme your sales pitch ... :D

I am probably not going to be a great help, but I have tried the 24-105mm on my camera, and what can I say? Amazing lens. Tere have been complaints about flare and such (as I am sure you have read) but the version I borrowed showed little to no problems.

^^^thanks... i'm trying to look for a shop that can rent out those lenses. i think i might use the 24-105mm more than th 24-70, just because of the added focal length.

i have the 24-70mm, i love it, but i do sometimes wish it had that little extra focal length. Sure you wouldnt regret either choice

You really can't go wrong with either. I had my mind set for the 24-70mm f2.8L for the longest time but I was in no hurry as I had my oldie Tamron 35-105mm f2.8 ( slow AF and heavy ). By the time I was ready to pull the trigger, I was fortunate enough to have two choices as you. In the end, I opted for the 24-105 f4L USM IS lens because I came to the realization that I wasn't looking for a fast ( aperature ) zoom. I already shoot with my prime set most of the time anyways; 24mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 135m f2L. I was looking for a great walk around lens for the times that I want to pack light. Outings that are usually outside with decent lighting and when I don't have a tripod. The 24-105mm fit that bill quite nicely. Its lighter and less bulky than the 24-70mm and IS comes in very useful. I've only had it for a few weeks but so far I'm very happy with the results. I generally stop down when shooting with zooms but the 24-105mm is surprisingly sharp even at wide f4. As with most wide angles, CA and barrel distortion is there at 24mm but it really isn't anything to get all worked up over.

If you are searching for a zoom for indoors ( weddings ), sports, etc... then no doubt the extra stops the 24-70mm will be valuable. For me it wasn't the case... in those situations, I still like my primes. Worst case, I still have my trusty f2.8 tamron zoom as well.

^^^thanks for that great reply. i agree with you that the 24-70mm might be better suited for indoors. but one or two good fast primes can better the 24-70mm. hmmm... still thinking.

from what i've read, the 24-70 is slightly better sharpness/color/contrast-wise. don't quote me on that just in case. if you want IS or the extra range, go for the 24-105. it seems to be a great lens.

Most reactions

Back