Canon 35mm F/2 IS or Sigma EX 70-200mm F/2.8?

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon 35mm F/2 IS or Sigma EX 70-200mm F/2.8 APO HSM DG OS ?

Current setup: 5DM2 w/ 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8 and a 24-105 f/4 IS.

Looking to get more into wedding photography and I have decided that purchasing a lens is the best option for me.

I am stuck between these two lenses and which one will benefit me in the long run. I always found myself having trouble photographing poorly lit ceremonies/receptions.

I usually have my 24-105 during the reception with an external flash. For ceremonies, it's a different case, seeing as most church venues do not allow strobes/flash photography. I'm stuck with my 50 or 85, which both lenses allow a lot of light in, but I can't capture a wider angle.

I figured the Canon 35 f/2 IS would be a great choice because I can get those nice wide shots. This could come in handy during getting ready photos, the ceremonies and group shots at the reception in low light conditions.

I also found that the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 could also be a great lens during ceremony when I need more reach or during the reception capturing first dances and such.

I guess what I am asking is what is better lens choice for wedding photography? At least, in your experience?

If you can't capture a wider angle with 50 or 85, then why get 70-200?

I just want to see which lens would have more use in terms of capturing a wedding. I have a budget of only being able to buy one of these lenses.

I just want to see which lens would have more use in terms of capturing a wedding. I have a budget of only being able to buy one of these lenses.
Have you considered a 24-70 2.8 also?

Have you considered a 24-70 2.8 also?

To be honest, no I haven't thought about the 24-70 2.8. Have you used this lens indoors? How does stack against low light? It's good focal length. Hm.

Edit
A little out of my price range ):

Might want to look at a tamron 28-75 2.8, I have the Nikon version and it's a great lens. Much easier on the budget.than a 24-70

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Only you know what focal length you need. Are you missing more wide shots or long shots? Everyone "should" have slightly different styles. Either lens is obviously faster than the 24-105.

Most reactions

Back