Canon 40D or 50D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jachym.czech, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jachym.czech

jachym.czech TPF Noob!

For most ppl 40D would be better because the 50D is just not worth the extra money, however.....my problem is that I got an offer for a 50D with the same lens (EF-S 17-85mm IS) and for almost the same price as the 40D. Both cameras seem to have pros and cons. 15Mpx compared to 10Mpx of 40D gives more detailed shots (sometimes I would use that because I often do macrophography and crop the images), however more Mpx also means much bigger file sizes and more grain at higher ISOs. The 40D also has a much better battery-life.
    What do u think? Some reviews say 40D has better image quality, others say the opposite. If I was to buy it normally from the shop, I would go for 40D because paying 30% more for 50D is not worth it, but for the same price?
    As I said, the reason why I dont go for the 50D straight away is that it also has cons compared to the 50D.
    What do u think? Wut would be a better choice?

As a side note, I do mostly macrophotography and use my Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro lens.

2. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would buy the 50d for one reason (and this reason will seem pretty dumb to most probably). Three years from now (or 5-6) the 50d will be worth significantly more than the 40d. So, if you can get the 50d for the price of a 40d (about 300 bucks cheaper I'm guessing), then you are essentially making/saving money on the other end when you upgrade.....and we all eventually upgrade or quit the hobby...one of the two.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    50D, hands down. The micro adjust feature is well worth the price difference.

4. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always hear how microadjust is worth it. I just got a 5D mk II and every lens I own is spot on.....kind of disappointing. LOL