Canon 5D mark II

cereal83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

Well this camera is being released soon and I have sort of being eying it. I am trying to decide if $3099 plus tax (can) is worth me buying it. Like I have a XSI now with a kit lens, 50 mm, 17-40 and a 70-300 MM. If I got the new camera, I would have to sell everything minus the 17-40 L lens right?

Is this camera out of my league or would it be a good purchase. Only reason I want it is because it's full frame. Like maybe I should learn a bit more and then get it down the road or maybe since I will never be a pro, its too expensive of a camera just for a hobby and I have only been shooting for a few months now. I mostly do HDR but I love nature photos as well as abandoned places photos

My friends say I should go for it but seems I dunno and any words of wisdom would help me out.

Thanks

That's right, only your 18-55mm lens would be obsolete with a 5D (II).

Sure, the image quality will be great, and the video option is very interesting...but what really do you want to get out of it, that you aren't getting from your current camera?

If it's the wide field of view, you might consider an ultra wide angle lens like the EF-S 10-22mm. The 'crop sensor' bodies like the Rebels and the 40/50D are very good and can give you enough quality for just about anything. The 40D & 50D even have some advantages over the 5D, not to mention that they are a lot cheaper.

Why not pick up a used 5D? I've seen them mint for $1,200 (US). Sometimes you can even score an L series lens with one for not much more.

Now I hear they splash oil inside so I would consult a pro shop, but it is full frame and you can see what you think of your EF lenses on it without breaking the bank.

That said I will be breaking the bank :lmao:

-Shea

I just want a full frame for wide angle lens. I tested a Canon 10-20 with my camera at a store but when I got home, it wasn't really wide, sure it was better then my 17-40.

I am not sure what else I want. I guess I just want to have a really nice camera setup also. Thinking about it more and more, it does seem to sound stupid. Maybe I should invest in other accessories for my camera like strobes and other lens or just take a few courses and become better at composition.

I would never use the HD video as I would buy a camcorder if I needed to record video.

Thanks

Thinking more about it. I would love to have the camera but I rather spend that money elsewhere and just keep my XSI for now.

Thanks all for the comments

i know you've decided (and it has been a while since I've been on the TPF forums so I'm late to the game)... but i will say that i switched from an Xti to the 5d earlier this year because of the full frame and it has been like night and day with my happiness and results. I've been so totally happy about going to full frame i can't see how I'd ever go back. And yes, i have a 5d mii on order!

I just want a full frame for wide angle lens. I tested a Canon 10-20 with my camera at a store but when I got home, it wasn't really wide, sure it was better then my 17-40.

I am not sure what else I want. I guess I just want to have a really nice camera setup also. Thinking about it more and more, it does seem to sound stupid. Maybe I should invest in other accessories for my camera like strobes and other lens or just take a few courses and become better at composition.

I would never use the HD video as I would buy a camcorder if I needed to record video.

Thanks

I believe Canon's widest EF mount UWA zoom is 16-35 f/2.8. That's the exact FoV at the wide end as you get with a 10-20/10-22mm lens on any APS-C Canon camera.

??

10mm on a crop sensor and 17mm on a full frame are wider than most people can handle in terms of composition.

the regime is also refered to as ultrawide. so how come you thought it was not even slightly wide ? ;)

Why not pick up a used 5D? I've seen them mint for $1,200 (US). Sometimes you can even score an L series lens with one for not much more.

Now I hear they splash oil inside so I would consult a pro shop, but it is full frame and you can see what you think of your EF lenses on it without breaking the bank.

That said I will be breaking the bank :lmao:

-Shea

Id get a 5D mkII straight away if it wasn't for the video recording/live view crap!! I considered getting the original 5D but I don't like to go backwards. I currently use a 40D, I came from a 20D as my first DSLR.
I'm quite keen to have a full frame body next time round. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back