CANON 5D + Raw Plugin Issues

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Shoshin, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Shoshin

Shoshin TPF Noob!

Greetings,
    I have a Canon 20D, and have just purchased a Canon 5D for a test drive only. I have the option to return it, if necessary. I shoot primarily macro, and am looking for a bit more detail, which I thought I might get from the 5D larger sensor and mp. I have an iMAC G5, and PS CS, (not CS2). With my 20 D, I can just use my card reader, it downloads directly onto my desktop, without ImageBrouser software, and I can open in PS CS. Easy. So I download the current raw plugin (Beta), in order to open 5D raw images, and not only can I not open my 5D raw images, I can't open my 20D images either. So I dumped it. (I scare easily when it comes to my 3000 images). I'd like to do a side-by-side of these two camera in raw.
    Anybody?
    Thanks.
    www.allheartenterpises.com

2. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Download the trial version of ACDSee Pro it read the last canon raw files, but it's only good for 7 days

3. Rose

Rose TPF Noob!

im also very confused about downloading RAW images from camera to computer...:confused:

firstly i installed all the image programs that came with my 350D on cd, such as raw image task and image browser. so basically when i connect the camera to my computer, not little icon comes up saying CF card, i have to go to "image browser" then click on canon camera!

HOW DO I MAKE IT SO I DONT NEED TO OPEN THAT FIRST, SO THE ICON COMES UP ON THE DESTOP?

also once i run "raw image task" and make my adjustments, i can only save to tiff (then later once having been in photoshop i will need to resave as psd, is that ok to re save so many times without degrading the image?)

another thing i cannot get my head around is how to drag the raw files to photoshop. i save them to the desktop as raw files and they automatically have the extention CR2 (eg imagename.CR2) and then i drag to photoshop CS and it says that the file cannot be opened because it cannot be recognised!:x

what am i doing wrong can anyone please help?...

basically what i would like my work procedure to look like is:
    CF icon on desktop, save contents to folder
    go to photoshop, open image borwser, select folder
    then open image in photoshop (and then i would like a menu to come up so i can edit RAW)
    then save as tiff or whatever
    then go and edit in photoshop.

can anyone suggest why thats not happening
    i am so lost and help will be greatly appreciated!

thanx