Canon 5D, ready to take the plunge...

glasseye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have been dabbling in photography for awhile, but have never made the leap into the SLR world. So, I am pretty familiar with a lot of photographic terms, f-stop, ISO, etc.but not all. So, when I decided to choose which SLR would be the one for me, I then realized I knew nothing about how to shop for compatible lenses. Of course I could go to a photography store and get the sales pitch, but would be grateful if anyone would have any recommendations for me and explanation about how to make sure the lens I see is going to be compatible with my camera based on the specs.

I decided the Canon 5D is the one, I really like the idea of full-frame and the reviews are gleaming. I am a bit nostalgic of the film days as well. I thought of doing a Digital Rebel and then upgrading later, but then heard that because of the sensor size I would have to purchase all new lenses. Because of the high price my plan is to purchase the equipment and transfer the balance to one of those no-interest for 12 months credit cards so I can pay it off within the year. Therefore I want to try to purchase most of my equipment together and would appreciate anyone's help in the lens area.

I'm thinking that I want to be able to have a variety of lenses. I want a wide-angle lens(like 18mm or something), a mid-range lens, a 50mm prime lens, and a telephoto lens(70-200 or maybe 100-300). I also need stuff like flash and things, but I'm going to just stick to lens for this thread.

Here are some lenses I found, but again, I don't know if they will be compatible with the 5D or what to look for. I am open to trying Sigma or other brands if the lenses are high-quality. I've been told that the 5D tends to expose the flaws of poor quality lenses.

- Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (What does USM & EF mean?)
- Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens (what does the L mean in 2.8L?)
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens
- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro for Canon EOS (what is DG?)

So, in conclusion, I have an idea of what I want, but lack the knowledge of camera/lens compatibility. Also, maybe some combinations of focal length and aperture speed are preferably for someone who is not a seasoned pro. I would love to hear of any recommendations perhaps from someone who has the 5D.

Thanks

You really SHOULD get a Rebel Rebel XT first.

No offense, but you're diving in ass backwards. You don't go and buy one of the most expensive camera bodies when you know almost nothing about photography.

Please do yourself a favour and invest in actual entry-mid entry level photography equipment. You don't need new lenses, either, when you go full frame. You might need one more wide angle, but that's about it...

Welcome to the forum. :D

First of all, what's your budget? That will help us to make recommendations.

Secondly, all Canon EF lenses are compatible with all Canon EOS cameras (that includes film EOS cameras, full frame digital like the 5D and smaller sensor cameras like the rebels and 40D etc). There are some EF-S lenses that are made only for the 'crop sensor' cameras...so they would not work on a 5D.

The 5D is an amazing camera, no doubt about that. However, given that this will be your first SLR, I wondering if you wouldn't be just as happy with something like a 40D or it's predecessor, the 30D....or a Rebel XTi for that matter. Either of those are great cameras, especially the 40D, which is the newest model and very advanced. Yes, there is the 'crop' factor to deal with...but there are some very good EF-S lenses (and third party lenses) that can do the job. I mention these because the cost difference between a 5D and a 40D is quite significant. And if you are planning on buying a few good quality lenses as well (and on credit) cost seems to be a factor.

Some people do think that they will eventually use a full frame digital...so they avoid the crop sensor cameras and the EF-S lenses...however, many pro photographers (and many more amateurs) are quite happy to stick with the crop cameras. It does make it harder to get a wide field of view, but that's why they have the EF-S 10-22mm (which I have, it's great).

I don't mean to dissuade you from the 5D...it's great. And if that's what you are getting, then stick with EF lenses and you will be fully compatible.

Also L is Canon's designation for top of the line lenses. If it's L, it's about as good as you can get for these type of cameras...of course, they are some of the most expensive as well.

USM is Ultra Sonic Motor...it's a fast and silent focus motor. Non-usm lenses are a little slower to focus and a little noisier.

DG...I'm not sure about that one. Diffractive Glass maybe :scratch:

- Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens

Not going to work at all ...
10mm is extremely wide anyway. if you need a wide angle zoom, for the 5D the 17-40 f/4 L and the 16-35 f/2.8 L (mark I or II) are a good choice.

No offense, but you're diving in ass backwards. You don't go and buy one of the most expensive camera bodies when you know almost nothing about photography.

Please do yourself a favour and invest in actual entry-mid entry level photography equipment. You don't need new lenses, either, when you go full frame. You might need one more wide angle, but that's about it...
The OP said that they have dabbled in photography for a while...and they seem to have done a bit of research. I'd say that they know considerably more than nothing about photography.

It makes much more sense to buy what you what (if you can afford it) than to buy what is cheap, and then upgrade later....especially when there are compatibility issues.

Also, the 5D is 'mid level' to many people. It's just more expensive and has a full frame sensor. Otherwise, it's basically a 30D. If they were talking about a 1Ds mk III...that would be a different story.

I thought of doing a Digital Rebel and then upgrading later, but then heard that because of the sensor size I would have to purchase all new lenses.

Not true at all, just buy lenses which are known to be full-frame compatible, and you will have no problems when migrating to a full-frame camera later.

Because of the high price my plan is to purchase the equipment and transfer the balance to one of those no-interest for 12 months credit cards so I can pay it off within the year.

Ugh :confused:

if you really want to ...

.. but why? You can hardly explore the potential of a set of lenses instantly. I would buy good lenses, but one by one. I still haven't got a Macro for my current SLR because I am still exploring the potential of my other lenses - even though I love Macro photography. Just an example. And I am into SLR photography for more than a decade (different cameras though).

An SLR and lenses is a luxury device (if you do not need it for your job) which is not needed to survive in this world. hence I would not consider a credit at all.

if you really want the 5D, then buy it. but if you are starting out with an SLR, consider a lower-level camera body, which are also very good, and some amazing lenses. remember, better average body and good lens than good body and crappy lenses. just my opinion. do what you want most in the end though.

I agree, don't waste time with starter-equipment, do it right the first time if you have the money. Buy the 5D, you will be quite happy. Even if an upgrade comes at some point, that camera will still be near state-of-the-art for the next few years.

Don't buy all the lenses now, just get the 50mm f/1.4 (much better build-quality and action than the f/1.8) and get the 24-70mm L f/2.8.

The 70-200mm L f/2.8 is a HUGE lens, and quite expensive. I own it but almost never use it, I'm simply embarassed by it. REALLY good pictures though.

I have 16-35mm L f/2.8 wide-angle zoom. It's really good, but so wide that it can easily distort your subject matter if you use it incorrectly. Think about what you're shooting that wide, and really ask yourself whether you need the sharpness edge-to-edge. If it's just a novelty lens in your arsenal, think about getting a non-L quality lens.

Good luck, post some pics when you get your gear.

If you can and WILL pay this off in the year and thereby not pay the extra 25% by all means get the 5D!

Two of the main reasons people stay broke is that they pay too much interest and the main one is that they buy things over and over again.

Welcome to the forum. :D

DG...I'm not sure about that one. Diffractive Glass maybe :scratch:

DG is Sigma's designation for:

"DG (DG Lens)
These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs."

Anyhoo, your choices might narrow down a bit if you can focus on what you want to photograph. Get the body that is most comfortable for you and go from there. With the release of the 40D, it nearly rivals the 5D in performance, minus the FF, until it is updated. Start with a decent all-around lens. Use it for a bit, than add more glass as you need it. Unless you just hit the lotto or a large inheritance, than by all means go for it.:mrgreen:
Can't go wrong with L glass.

I really appreciate all the replies, even the critical ones. I am more deliberate about my choices than it may have sounded. But one thing I didn't know is that the you can use EF lenses on non-FF camera bodies. I thought FF lenses were made exclusively for FF camera bodies. So, I really like the advice of getting an entry level body and good lenses that will be compatible with the 5D also later on down the line. I could afford to payoff the camera within a year, although the money might be better spent in an investment or something as this is not my profession...yet. I will get the 5D for sure, the pictures I've seen are beautiful, but now that I understand more about lenses, I might hold off for a couple of months afterall. We'll see. I really appreciate the encouragement too. The sky is the limit.

You need to learn more about Full Frame and Crop Factor, try this:
http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/crop-factor.html

You can buy anything you want (and could afford), but my advise is to buy anything you need, you want a 5D because you think you are going to use it for a long time, then don't wait to buy one! you can learn and play with the body later after you have it.

But lens is different, buy one that you really need first... Since you are going to use FF, my advise is a midrange zoom, or a classic sharp 50's, then after you understand well your camera body and lens (plus and min), you can easily add more lens and I'm sure it's more effective because all of your lenses are going to produce nice pictures, not just sitting like trophy in the dry cabinet.

This is a weird topic.. good one though.

See I was one of the 'buy small, then grow' cause I didn't even plan on taking photos for money when I bought my XT. However, this thread is from a user who hasn't gotten into SLR photography, yet knows a lot about it already, and really knows their camera stuff. This is a good thing, obviously.

Glasseye, I am afraid that buying big at first can cause you to appreciate your fancy gear less. This goes along with what Alex_B said. He mentioned to buy your lenses a little at a time, so you can play with each one for awhile. I totally agree with him.

Starting out with the XT, a 18-55 kit lens, and borrowing a 75-300 4-5.6, I found ways to make them take good pictures. After all, that's all I had. Better yet, with each lens I purchased after that, I had a blast figuring it out, taking newer pictures...different styles than I had taken before, because of the new features (range, aperture, etc). It's a cool thing. Same with upgrading to my 40D. There are features that I simply don't take for granted...cause I know how it was back with my XT.

I suppose what I'm going after is that, if you start with awesome gear, it will be the "standard" for you...and you'll probably sooner upgrade to something better. However, starting off small, then upgrading to a 5d later, will make you appreciate it way more.

Looks like you're set on a 5d, which is great. However, really consider what Alex_B was saying about buying lenses over time...that's really really good advice.

I would highly recommend the 5D its an awesome camera. If you only can buy two lenses buy the 24mm-70mm "L" f2.8 and the 80mm to 200mm f2.8. The 5D is a really work-horse and I have used it to shoot stock photos with great success. The 50mm macro and 100mm also work great and are great lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back