Canon 700D questions.

khrisxtine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone, From this post, you'll be able to tell I'm a complete newbie.. But was hoping I'm posting this in the correct place - if not, please forgive me and point me in the right direction!

I just got the Canon 700d/T5i for Christmas. I am trying to test it out right now.. But I noticed the LCD sometimes turns off.. For the life of me cannot find it in the manual or troubleshooting..

I also made sure to disable auto shut off, but nothing? It works just fine and then it just shuts off.. and when it shuts off - i'm unable to press anything on it to make the lcd turn on again. The camera however is on, because i'll tap the screen and hear noises and when I press the little camera icon button, it makes a shutter noise.. So i'm not sure if my camera is broken, or I truly just don't know how to use it :lmao::lol:

You may have the lens cap on it. You also may have it in live view pointing at something black.

Oh - and welcome to TPF!

You may have the lens cap on it. You also may have it in live view pointing at something black.

Oh - and welcome to TPF!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I for sure have the lens cap off as I was just looking at the object I wad going to shoot and it just turned off and I couldn't get it to turn back on, to even look at the settings.

Welcome to the site. Go to the menu and look for the auto power off and see what it is set to. If it is at 30 seconds, then change it, that is what is causing it.

When you press that "little camera icon" you're activating live view mode.

Sometimes, LCD screens may stand idle after a certain amount of time to save battery life.
Try depressing the shutter and see if the LCD screen appears. (Press the shutter slightly half way down but not completely)

Try taking a video of the incident and post it.
That way we can hep you futher.r

Thanks everyone for the replies!

It is full battery, there is an SD card in there that's brand new (class 10)

the auto power off is disabled and so is the LCD auto shutoff is disabled. I'm uploading a video of it right now.

canon t5i lcd shuts off sometimes while idle, after taking a picture by using shutter (manually) or using the screen touch shutter.. and won't come back on unless I turn off the camera completely and stay turned off for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to post the video. I am as confused as your are. If the problem has not been solved by the time I get home, I will play with 60D & 70D to see if I can figure anything out.

As Amanda mentioned, half pressing the shutter should have turned the lcd back on (me thinks).

what are your settings for the picture. It sounds to me like you have a long shutter speed on and the shutter is still open.
Is it in auto?

Check page 302 of the manual in reference to custom function #7. Also try pressing your info button when the screen goes off.

ok, this is weird.. so i've been taking random pictures and the screen would turn off after each picture.. instead of me turning it off this time, I literally let it sit for 5 minutes (screen was still off).. because I was searching in google to try to figure out what's going on with it.. I pick it back up and the lcd went back on it's own..

so far I've been testing out the camera, the screen hasn't turned off.. I don't remember pressing info, but then again I could've done that on accident because I was freaking out the LCD was broken and started pressing everything lol.. but let's cross our fingers and hope it doesn't happen again.. I'll keep you all updated.. I turned it off for now.. have to run some errands with my kiddos and i'll be back.

Most reactions

Back