canon 7D sync to 580x flash??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kevinbosch, May 10, 2010.

1. kevinbosch

kevinbosch TPF Noob!

how do i get it to work i read the manual like 4 times im aving a hard time.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you explain your problem in more detail? What are you trying to do, and what results are you getting?

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Assuming your question is about how to wirelessly trigger your flash using your 7D...I dont have a 580, but here is what I do with my 430.

1- Put the 430 in slave mode. Its written in the manual or check online how to do this if you dont know

2- Make sure the transmission channel on the flash is the same as in the camera

3- As the wireless functionality requires line of site, make sure the front of the flash (where the red box is) is facing the camera

4- Popup the built in flash on the camera. If this isn't done, I think portions of the menu aren't available.

5- Once the built in flash is up, then head to the Flash Control in the menu. Towards the bottom, you should have a section for Wireless settings. Go in here, and select the setting you want based on the little pictures

That should be the basics (if I remember it all). There are other things to explore such as 2nd curtain shooting, flash exposure compension and so on.