Canon 85mm 1.2f with a T2i. Any opinions.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by NewAgeVisions, Jun 6, 2010.

1. NewAgeVisions

NewAgeVisions TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm thinking of trying the Canon 85mm F1.2 with the T2i. Reason. Low light usage and 135mm factor with the smaller chip.

Used at night or in clubs or at concerts it's a nice tele and gets you closer with great low light usage.

Out you throw a filter on it if it's bright and still have a great lense. Walk inside to do a quick shoot. Take filter off and back to 1.2F.

Just wondered if anyone had tried using one as there standard go to lense?

Nice compliment is the 17-55mm 2.8F. But it's also nice to just carry one camera and lense. Although, a beefy lense. But, with the low light for inside avail light shooting sounds great. Toss a expandable reflector in your pocket and nice set up. Or use avail walls for the fill.

Anyway, just wanted to hear some chatter on it.

Thanks.

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

For me, I usually carry a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with either a 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2.8 and a flash in my bag as walk around setup. So it is 2 lenses, 1 body and 1 flash setup.

However, the 17-50mm is usually on the camera.

3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    but with 85 mm it might be hard for you taking pictures if the club is smaller or if you want to put more people in the frame.

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    that.. and the DOF is going to be shallow.

Really fast glass are more of a speciality item.... you shoot with them specifically to shoot with the wide aperture. In most cases, you are almost better off saving the $$$ and getting the 1.4 or 1.8 version. In the Leica world, people who have the Noctilux 50 f/1 usually also have another 50mm at their disposal. In generally, the more normal lenses will outperform the faster in almost all categories EXCEPT the faster aperture. Also noted, the shallow DOF will be working against you.

I'm almost inclined to put the money into one of those higher end bodies that are known for good HIGH ISO performance; 5DMI used or even the 5DMII

I used to shoot with the 85mm f/1.8 and it had never disappointed me. Generally paired with the 24mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.4.

5. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've also heard that the AF is mediocre at best. And if it's anything like the garbage AF on the 50 1.2 that I played with, its almost unusable and totally incapable of quickly focusing on anything in dark environments.

6. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    and its actually an improvement over the '89 50mm f/1.

7. NewAgeVisions

NewAgeVisions TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going with the MKII model.

Focus is faster then the old MKI, but not as fast as the 1.8.

On the DOF. For times I need it I'd throw a ND filter on it, as in during bright daylight outside. Which also helps protect the lens. If you move inside and there isn't enough light for you, pull off the filter. Always liked available light better then a pop of a flash. To me, Flash was always just for fill.

Only iffy thing I'm worried about is the distance of the 135mm because of the 1.6 of the smaller sensor.

One of the things I'm looking for is ability to NOT sell it. As, I know at some time I'll move up to a full size sensor.

I agree with spending more money on a camera to get better Iso. But, in 3 years you'll trade that camera in. Buying high end glass, you keep forever. Or, for a very long time....

One of the other nice things, at least for me, is I have a lot of high end filters in the 72mm size from my medium format lenses. Some were around $400.

Usayit, could you have spent the whole day shooting with just the 85? Was the camera you were using a aps size sensor?

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

8. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    As I mentioned, shooting with very fast glass isn't probably going to meet your expectations. People shoot with these lenses for the "effect" but not necessarily to get the faster shutter in low light. This was shot at f/1 on a 50mm (x1.6 camera)... Just to get you an idea of the shallow depth of field.

[​IMG]

I never got the idea that you "had" to buy a new camera every so often. That is especially untrue now. If the current suites your needs... But yes, I agree glass usually outlives the camera in terms of investment. ASSUMING you made the right purchase to begin with.

I could but it totally depends on what you are shooting.... The 85mm is paired to a 1dMII (x1.3). In doors, it will be tight. I travelled with the following; 24, 50, 85, 135, and 300. Of course, I don't carry it all with me all the time.

At present, my most used focal lengths come in pairs; 24mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2.5 or 35mm f/2.5 and 75mm f/2.5. Sometimes, paired with a 12mm Heliar. (On a different system)

9. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This really isn't a club or concert lens. It's design lends itself to to studio/portrait work. The AF is terribly slow and on a Rebel series body it will be at it's worst for focus speed. You would be better of with the 85 f1.8.

I love the 1.2 for portrait work, but my 1.8 gets used far more than the 1.2.

10. NewAgeVisions

NewAgeVisions TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm.
    When I use to shoot a lot I always liked a fast glass and used a dark nd filter to get the app where I wanted it.

Do you all always use a flash now?

To be honest i never was big on 35mm anything. Hated digital as everything I had seen the quality was horrible. Now with the 24's coming out I figured I'd pick up an 18mp and get ready for when a 50mp comes out as that was where Kodak engineers had placed quality of 35mm film at to match fine detail under enlargement.

Kind of shocked that people don't see the wonderfullness of fast glass anymore.

I guess available light shooting at dusk and dawn is not done much anymore. Everybody is also forgetting about what nd filters can do for you.

On that picture that was posted what would a nd4 filter of done to the depth of field?

11. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    You misunderstood... Fast glass, high ISO performance, ND filters, AF, etc.. are simply tools. Its a matter applying the appropriate combination of tools to accomplish a goal. There are plenty of people here that are very much interested and appreciate natural light + fast glass.

For the goals specified in the original post, a few people just don't think the 85mm f/1.2 is an appropriate tool for the job. That is the point... its not a rejection of the fast 85mm glass in general.

How does ND filtering have anything to do with depth of field? DOF is a combination of aperture, focal length, and distance to subject (and format in terms of circle of confusion). Keeping all of those variables constant will result in the same DOF with or without filter.

I use an ND3 filter when I'm out in bright day light with the intention of shooting at f/1 and the resulting shutter (for an appropriate exposure) is beyond 1/8000 which is the limit of my camera. For normal shooting, I usually leave the 50 f/1 at home and take the 50 f/2.5. Shorter focus throw thus easier to focus, it is compact, and better image quality (in certain cases). Its a better tool for the job.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  12. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been thinking about this, and price vs. performance isn't there for me with the 85 f/1.2. If I were the OP, I'd rather spend the cash on several more than capable primes, or an f/2.8 zoom and a prime or two. I'm using the 85 f/1.8 on a 5D MKII and see no reason to upgrade to the 85 f/1.2 with the current kit that I have. Truthfully, I need something around a 35mm-50mm prime for filming.