Canon AE-1

ygb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got my birthday present - canon AE-1.
I think my husband had decided to help me to develop better skills with setting proper exposure. I am not very friendly with light meters, I almost always tweak settings base on histogram of the test image. It also would be nice to get away from auto focus. I've been feeling very confined by focus points and had been thinking to try shooting more with manual focus.
However, my first thought was: "oh no! no more Photoshop". I am by no means a pro when it comes to photoshop, but I do like the ability to make some tweaks to the photos, especially in black and white conversion. I know, there are ways to do post processing in darkroom, but I wouldnt even know where to start.
Would you guys have any suggestions on the best way for me to get acquainted with film? should I start with color or black and white? I suppose color is better, for black and white I will need filters at least to avoid very flat photos.
Does anyone know what kind of metering method the camera uses? I found the original manual, but it wasn't very helpful. It seems that meter works in shutter priority. Is it still metering to mid grey? There are seem to be some auto mode ( for setting apperture), but I couldn't figure it out. To me it seems that camera is in complete manual mode - manual shutter selection and then set aperture manually as well.
Anyway, I'd appreciate any help. I am definitely a bit intimidated by it:)

What attracts you to film in DSLR world?

Yuliya

The Canon AE-1 is a fine camera to start film with. As far as recommendations on getting started get a couple prime FD lenses and some store brand films. Go with any C-41 film you want and get out and shoot. The AE-1's metering system consists of a small needle and a string of numbers down the right hand side of the viewfinder. The meter activates when the shutter release is half depressed and a little red "M" flashes in your viewfinder. Simply lign up the needle with the f/stop you are using with the shutter speed dial. The AE-1 does have some automated modes but I never used them on any of the AE-1s I have owned.

I have an AE-1 but don't use it.
Did you know on your DSLR you can go into Manual Mode for manual exposure, and also go into Manual Focusing and do everything manually (Aperture, Shutter, ISO, focusing etc) ?

The Canon AE-1 is a fine camera to start film with. As far as recommendations on getting started get a couple prime FD lenses and some store brand films. Go with any C-41 film you want and get out and shoot. The AE-1's metering system consists of a small needle and a string of numbers down the right hand side of the viewfinder. The meter activates when the shutter release is half depressed and a little red "M" flashes in your viewfinder. Simply lign up the needle with the f/stop you are using with the shutter speed dial. The AE-1 does have some automated modes but I never used them on any of the AE-1s I have owned.
Thank you!
Cant wait to try it. I am a junkie for fast primes and I almost bought on ebay 50mm f1.8 right away, but the camera came with two lenses: 28-50mm and 80-200mm. I am thinking that before I spent any more money I should try using what I have.
It seems that lenses are quite limited in aperture options though, it has 3.5, 5.6, 8, 11 and 22. So when the meter points to a diff f number, I guess I'll have to do a quick math to make it work.

I have an AE-1 but don't use it.
Did you know on your DSLR you can go into Manual Mode for manual exposure, and also go into Manual Focusing and do everything manually (Aperture, Shutter, ISO, focusing etc) ?
yes, I do know that I can use manual settings on my DSLR and I do on occasion. Although a lot of times I shoot in either aperture or shutter priority or manual mode with Auto ISO. I shoot outdoor and a lot of time light changes so quickly that I cant keep up with changing settings between every 5 shots.

I hope we still have our 35mm canon rebel. I wonder if my current lenses will work on it, I think I still use some lenses that came with that camera, but Canon AE-1 seem to be more intriguing to try

Unless they are Canon lenses (and I know that 80-200 is not I have two of them) go a head and buy a couple good primes. I have been shooting FD glass for a very long time and I have learned that a good prime is not only the better learning tool but also can be acquired on the cheap for those willing to look. When looking at used glass, dust in the lens is normal and fine, just make a point to note any fungus growth and try to steer clear of fungus compromised glass as it will impact image quality. A canon FD 50mm f/1.8 should be dirt cheap as it was a kit lens on many FD bodies including the AE-1, they are common. 50mm f/1.4's are a little more expensive but not drastically.

The Canon AE-1 does support Aperture priority should you find your self needing it.

My recommended list of lenses for starting out

Canon FD 38mm f/2.8
Canon FD 50mm - Either f/1.8 or f/1.4
Any FD mount 135mm - While Canon glass will generally out perform third party lenses a Canon FD 135 might be on the high side of the price range for experimental film shooting. I have been through many third party 135mm lenses they will get the job done. My wife currently has a Star-D 135mm f/2.8 but has access to my Canon FD 135mm 3.5 and 135mm 2.5 and she has been content with the Star-D when she actually went out and shot with me.

Last edited:
I believe the rebel was an EF mount I'll have to double check but if it is the lens would work on a dSLR and vise-verse but not the AE-1.
yes it was. I know it will not be compatible with AE-1, I just brought it up as another option I have for film and the one that should take my current lenses. However, it seems that my husband had donated it, so I only have AE-1 for film.

Unless they are Canon lenses (and I know that 80-200 is not I have two of them) go a head and buy a couple good primes. I have been shooting FD glass for a very long time and I have learned that a good prime is not only the better learning tool but also can be acquired on the cheap for those willing to look. When looking at used glass, dust in the lens is normal and fine, just make a point to note any fungus growth and try to steer clear of fungus compromised glass as it will impact image quality. A canon FD 50mm f/1.8 should be dirt cheap as it was a kit lens on many FD bodies including the AE-1, they are common. 50mm f/1.4's are a little more expensive but not drastically.

The Canon AE-1 does support Aperture priority should you find your self needing it.

My recommended list of lenses for starting out

Canon FD 38mm f/2.8
Canon FD 50mm - Either f/1.8 or f/1.4
Any FD mount 135mm - While Canon glass will generally out perform third party lenses a Canon FD 135 might be on the high side of the price range for experimental film shooting. I have been through many third party 135mm lenses they will get the job done. My wife currently has a Star-D 135mm f/2.8 but has access to my Canon FD 135mm 3.5 and 135mm 2.5 and she has been content with the Star-D when she actually went out and shot with me.

Thank you!
Where would you suggest is the best place to look for lenses? I just checked ebay and there is Canon FD mount 135mm f2.8 for about $50, it seems. I have no idea how to buy lenses on ebay, there is no way to check for mold.

I have been buying a lot of older lenses on ebay recently (I switched to mirrorless so I can use just about any old glass with an adapter). My strategy has been to ask the seller ahead of time if there is any mold, fungus, dust, haze, or scratches in the lens. That way if it shows up and is all nasty and dirty it falls under the category of not matching the description in the auction ebay will force the seller to take it back.

So far, I've had one lens that showed up a bit hazy, but I only spent $5 on it so it wasn't worth sending back.

I have only bought one Canon FD lens so far, a 300mm f/4, but it is my favorite lens right now!

Congrats!

The AE-1 is a good camera, and was my very first brand new SLR purchased.

I have bought many lenses on E-bay, the trick is to read. Generally sellers will mention all that stuff in the description. But they don't all ways, so you should also check the images. I like to see sellers who take a picture of the lens looking through it, usually if it has bad case of fungus it will be visible that way however some slight cases of fungus may not. A slight case of fungus won't hurt your images noticably so if you end up with a little it is not a big deal at this point. $50 for a 135 f/2.8 is not too bad a price, just look the listing over carefully.

I was just flipping through the E-bay listings looking for the lens you mentioned and I found A Canon FD 135 f3.5 for $55 and with my buying experience I would buy it my self if I needed it but I don't so I'll pass it along.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back