Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens, is this a good choice for low light pics

b) Buy the 50mm f/1.8 II for $130, use it for it's image quality (which is good) but then have issues with the slow focusing motor and/or the nervous/jittery bokeh and decide you need the better quality, buy the 50mm f/1.4 USM lens for about $330 ... total cost is $460.
You left out the the part where you sell the 1.8 and recoup most of it's initial cost. : )

The EF 50mm f/1.8 mkII is not a bad lens. It has limitations, if you are okay with the limitations, it is good lens to have. The other option beside the f/1.4 version is the old mk1 which you maybe able to find it in the used market. Optically it is the same as the 50mm f/1.8, however, the older version is built better.

It has a metal mount, distance scale, and the manual focus ring is located in the middle of the lens, not at the front of the lens. And the lens body itself feel stronger than the new version.

$image.jpg
This was taken with a 1.8 50mm on a t4i camera at night. I have nothing to add except sample photos from the 1.8 since I have never used the 1.4 lens. Take it for what it's worth. I borrow the 50 from a buddy when I need it. I like it but when I buy one it will be the 1.4.

Here's the deal with the 50/1.8 II. It has 5 aperture blades, so when you stop the lens down past f/2 it looks like butt mud. This is due to poor engineering and manufacturing.

Your OOF areas will be harsh and immediately identifiable as a 50/1.8 II. You'll learn that this plastic piece of junk that's mounted on your camera is holding back your ability to focus effectively because the focusing mechanism is loud, slow, and doesn't have as many intervals as a USM lens. It literally is a plastic piece of junk, that breaks into two pieces if not handled with care. The lens mount itself is plastic.

After that, you'll say to yourself "Wow, I should have spent the extra money on a refurbished or used 50/1.4." So you'll end up selling your $90 50/1.8 II for $70, and your 50/1.4 will cost you $20 more. Sure, for $100 it works like a $100 lens. And for $350, the 50/1.4 works like a $350 lens. Much better than the f/1.8 II IMO, and in the long run you'll save money.

I was about to go out and buy the 1.8......Im not so sure now :scratch:

I reckon I will wait, save up a little more cash and get the 1.4......seems to be a worthwhile exercise.

NickStevens said:
I was about to go out and buy the 1.8......Im not so sure now :scratch:

I reckon I will wait, save up a little more cash and get the 1.4......seems to be a worthwhile exercise.

You won't be let down.

Going to DC in April and want to be able to take pics in museums (if allowed) and in the evening of the lit up monuments.
I believe I've learned that with the f/1.8 I will be able to take lower light photos without the flash. Also with 55mm will it be too narrow for indoor wide angle shots? I own the Canon T4i kit lens EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, should I just stick with this one or buy the 50mm f/1.8 ?

I own the Canon 50mm EF F/1.8 II lens. It's a great little lens, very sharp from F/2.2 and up.

But 50mm at close distance, for instance if you want to take a picture of your family standing right in front of the Abraham Lincoln monument, will feel tight. My go to lens for this type of trip is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM. Gives me more latitude for framing my shots.

I am also in love with the Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/1.4 lens. I recently rented it for 35$ for a long week-end at my local camera store. This is one hell of a great lens, with amazing colors and contrast. Affordable to rent, very expensive to own though.

Most reactions

Back