Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have it? Thoughts on it? I just bought the International Version for $145 and saved a little money but it comes with no warranty. The US version comes with one but it's $300. I'm crossing my fingers that there's nothing wrong with it but I'm fairly confident it will be OK as most others that got the International version had no problems with it. It's not to say nothing can go wrong with it within a year, though. I realize I took a chance.

I bought it because my other small zoom Canon lens doesn't have IS and getting any good pics from it is like pulling teeth. (live and learn :02.47-tranquillity:) I will be selling that lens most likely on CL or Eb. I haven't received it yet but when I do (Jan. 3rd it looks like) I'll be sure to put up some pics from it asap. Most reviews on it are positive, around 2000 five star reviews on just one site. Apparently it's better than it's predecessor in a number of ways, ways that I liked a lot. Here's a link for anyone interested.
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens Review

Does anyone have it? Thoughts on it? I just bought the International Version for $145 and saved a little money but it comes with no warranty. The US version comes with one but it's $300. I'm crossing my fingers that there's nothing wrong with it but I'm fairly confident it will be OK as most others that got the International version had no problems with it. It's not to say nothing can go wrong with it within a year, though. I realize I took a chance.

I bought it because my other small zoom Canon lens doesn't have IS and getting any good pics from it is like pulling teeth. (live and learn :02.47-tranquillity:) I will be selling that lens most likely on CL or Eb. I haven't received it yet but when I do (Jan. 3rd it looks like) I'll be sure to put up some pics from it asap. Most reviews on it are positive, around 2000 five star reviews on just one site. Apparently it's better than it's predecessor in a number of ways, ways that I liked a lot. Here's a link for anyone interested.
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens Review

I still have the old original 55-250 and occasionally use it - small, light and cheap
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I bought mine used. Shoots fine and for a kit lens it works well especially the IS on the long end.

No real issues but dont expect high end performance like the 70-200 f 4 L lens catagory.

But unlike the above mentioned lens it DOES have IS! So have fun.

I had one for a while. Of the EF/S lenses I had it is the one I would have kept but for a time I only had full frame and could not use it. I think you will like it. In my experience, the IS more than makes up for the loss of 50mm relative to the XX-300mm non IS zooms.

Post here what you think when you get it.

I bought mine used. Shoots fine and for a kit lens it works well especially the IS on the long end.

No real issues but dont expect high end performance like the 70-200 f 4 L lens catagory.

But unlike the above mentioned lens it DOES have IS! So have fun.

I have the Canon 70-200 f/4 L USM and when I can manage a good, sharp pic with it it looks great but the great pics are way too few because it doesn't have IS. I thought that maybe i had to micro adjust the camera for the lens and I tried that but it didn't help with the picture fuzz.

My wife has the 250. She doesn't use it much because she also has a 200-400 Canon lens and I just got her a Sigma 150-600 Sports lens.

My wife has the 250. She doesn't use it much because she also has a 200-400 Canon lens and I just got her a Sigma 150-600 Sports lens.

I have the Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 DI VC USD. I like it but when you're taking a lot of pictures with it it starts to feel like a workout. That's another reason I want something lighter, I figure I can just crop if need be.

I have the 55-250 is STM. You will definitely love it, especially if you are coming from a 75-300!
No, it's can't take pictures as sharp as a 70-200 f4. Wait, let me say that again... No your $150 lens won't take pictures as sharp as a $550 lens.... Um, duh....
But it's quality is actually on par with the $400+ 70-300 is II.
Efs lenses tend to hit well above their weight class simply because for the same lens quality, it costs exponentially more to make larger glass, and efs lenses don't need as large of glass vs ef lenses....

Vs a $550 70-200 f4, handheld in less than perfect conditions, you will get a larger percentage of great pictures with the 55-250, simply because of the IS.

@K9Kirk "great pics are way too few because it doesn't have IS." One thing you might try if you haven't already. I have a an old Sigma 300mm that unless I'm shooting 1/500 or more, it will not give up a sharp image.

@K9Kirk "great pics are way too few because it doesn't have IS." One thing you might try if you haven't already. I have a an old Sigma 300mm that unless I'm shooting 1/500 or more, it will not give up a sharp image.

Thanks but I can't shoot everything at high shutter speeds because I often shoot in low light conditions. Besides, it's a done deal, I'm getting the new lens regardless. I appreciate your concern and input.

I have the 55-250 is STM. You will definitely love it, especially if you are coming from a 75-300!
No, it's can't take pictures as sharp as a 70-200 f4. Wait, let me say that again... No your $150 lens won't take pictures as sharp as a $550 lens.... Um, duh....
But it's quality is actually on par with the $400+ 70-300 is II.
Efs lenses tend to hit well above their weight class simply because for the same lens quality, it costs exponentially more to make larger glass, and efs lenses don't need as large of glass vs ef lenses....

Vs a $550 70-200 f4, handheld in less than perfect conditions, you will get a larger percentage of great pictures with the 55-250, simply because of the IS.

Thank you for that, it's what I figured with the IS and I've seen pictures that others have taken with it and I liked what I saw. I'm confident I'll have a much higher percentage of good pics with it. Will they be as sharp as with the Canon? No, but even then someone can always say the Canon 70-200 f/4 isn't the best lens and I'm not chasing that rabbit, lol!

I have the Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 DI VC USD. I like it but when you're taking a lot of pictures with it it starts to feel like a workout. That's another reason I want something lighter, I figure I can just crop if need be.

That's what my wife says, too. She just got to South Africa and is starting to use her 150-600 on Saturday. She doesn't know if she will be able to hold it up for long periods of time. I tried to get her to take a cyclops tripod. I guess if it is a cyclops, then it is not a tripod. Go figure.

That's what my wife says, too. She just got to South Africa and is starting to use her 150-600 on Saturday. She doesn't know if she will be able to hold it up for long periods of time. I tried to get her to take a cyclops tripod. I guess if it is a cyclops, then it is not a tripod. Go figure.

I always take the golf cart down to the marsh and I always keep my mono-pod in it in case I need it for any reason. I usually tough it out and don't go to the mono-pod, though. They're cheap, they stabilize very well and depending on what lens you have you can get away with using VR on a mono-pod (not on a tripod). I personally recommend a mono-pod, they set up much quicker, are more portable and mine only weighs like 1 lb. I went with the K&F Concept 4-Section 67"/171CM. Amazon has it for under 30 clams.

Just two ideas for you.
A bean bag to rest the lens on so you can use slower shutter speeds.
And er um. When on holiday and needed a rest for a long lens #sigmsa 150 600. Old vets no is# I bought a big bag of uncooked rice and used that to support the lens
Hope these daft ideas help

Most reactions

Back