Canon EOS 3 35mm - Aperture Question

Nick G123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, new to the forum so this is my first post.

I live in the Cayman Islands & I recently bought the Canon EOS 3 - 35mm film camera (without a lens). It's in excellent condition with all functions working including the LCD panel. I ordered the 50mm Canon EF 1.8 lens & attached it with ease when it arrived. Now, this might just be me being naive/lack of photography knowledge (still relatively new to photography in general) but when I adjust the aperture on M mode I expected to see the aperture blades open/close on the lens itself when increasing & decreasing. Even when half pressing the shutter button nothing appears to happen on the lens. The autofocus works fine so it isn't a connection issue.

Any help/response will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

On AF systems they typically don't close.
The aperture blades work off a motor. and actuate so that you can see the full image to focus.

The settings on all EOS cameras adjust the blades automatically unless the new digicams with the previews.

But you have a DoF button typically on the front that when pushed will show you the result.

it is located on the EOS 3 between the lens and the handle.
But it will release after you let go.

Thanks for the response, appreciate it!
Okay understood, i'll have a play around with the DoF button. Just concerned that all my images will be developed on Fstop 1.8!
Thanks again

On "modern" SLRs the aperture blades move after you press the shutter release. This is so you can view the subject with lens wide open.

Set to a slow shutter speed and open the back of the camera and look through from the rear as you fire the shutter. You should see the blades move when the mirror flips up.

Set the camera to f/11 and look into the lens as you snap a photo... You should be able to see the lens stop down.

Another way.....Set f stop to 16, hit depth of field preview. View through viewfinder will get darker, blades are working.

On "modern" SLRs the aperture blades move after you press the shutter release. This is so you can view the subject with lens wide open.

Set to a slow shutter speed and open the back of the camera and look through from the rear as you fire the shutter. You should see the blades move when the mirror flips up.

Thanks so much for the response! This worked. Appreciate it!

Most reactions

Back