Canon G9/G10/G11 Users: Do you use a hotshoe flash?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering how many of you use an external flash on your G9/G10/G11 body, and if you do - which one?

I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter, but like the G11 for a compact setup. I was looking for a flash similar to the Nikon SB400 (bounce capable) but having trouble finding anything small like that with bounce ability.

Edit: I guess it would be the 270EX?

Thanks!

have you looked into m4/3rds? The E-PL1 is about the same price/size of a G11, but the sensor is around the size as the one in your D90, so IQ is pretty close. It also shoots HD video, and continuous shooting at 3 fps.

Also on the E-PL1, the pop up flash can tilt, so you can angle it up and bounce it off a ceiling.

As far as the flash on a G11, one great benefit to it is that even if you don't put the flash on camera, you can do it off camera and sync at ridiculously high speeds (1/2000 or higher). This can be exceptionally useful, and something most DSLR's can't do.

That is to say, I probably wouldn't put one on camera, just as it would be so awkward cause of the size of flashes like the 580/430ex.

I would use the hotshoe though, with a wireless trigger and use off camera flash.

Sw1tchFX: Not looking for a camera, just asking about flashes for the G11 :lol: Thanks though.

Nate: True, I like off camera flash but I think if I'm going through that much trouble I'll just use my D300s and wireless Nissin Di866 - was just looking for something small that could bounce the flash and run on the Canon's ETTL? system.

yeah, I guess my point with the off camera flash was just the ability to sync at speeds way beyond that possible with your D300s (without using FP or HSS) which can be invaluable when used outdoors..

Most reactions

Back