Canon kit 18-55mm versus much more expensive 15-85mm

davidhq

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

I am testing my new expensive 15-85mm lens versus the kit lens. I have Canon 450D....

I the test shots below I used f/8 ISO 200. My question: I barely see the difference in quality except in one example (first two photos). Is this normal? Do you see more difference? There is probably some difference in contrast in other pictures too, but I think it's neglible. I don't see the difference in sharpness at all...

Would there be more difference in different conditions? Please let me know!

Regards,
David

$IMG_7791a 15-85.JPG$IMG_7801a 17-55.JPG$IMG_7786a 15-85.JPG$IMG_7798a 17-55.JPG$IMG_7782a 15-85.JPG$IMG_7795a 17-55.JPG$IMG_7792a 15-85.JPG$IMG_7803a 17-55.JPG

most lenses are perfectly fine at f8, it's when you're shooting with larger apertures you might notice a difference

Hi! Thank you for the answer... I previously compared them at f/5.0 but didn't notice that much difference either...

The only reason why it's strange to me is because I read the following on the forums:
The image quality of the 15-85mm is miles better than the 18-55mm IS lens.

I have both lenses used with a 50D and can say without question the 15-85 is far superior.

The image quality of the 15-85 It is absolutely far better than the 18-55.

I own both lenes and can say that the 15-85 has much better resolution than the 18-55.

So is all of this BS or what? :|

If the kit lens is anything like the kit lens I have sitting here, it feels like an empty plastic tube without glass. The kit lens is good for shooting lots of things, but it isn't really a very strong lens. There are usually reasons why more expensive lenses are more expensive, the glass quality, construction and sharpness. Try shooting a group shot with 40 people using both lenses and then have a good look at the faces, you will see the difference in overall quality from the non-kit lens.

While I'm not a Canonite, so I can't speak with first-hand knowledge, in general, almost any lens will turn in a decent result under average conditions (and those are certainly average conditions in your test shots). The real difference comes in extremes. Shoot each wide open at max and min aperture. Do some low-light comparisons, and of course, as Scott mentioned, there's the whole build-quality issue as well. It might not seem like it at first glance, but with good glass, you almost always get what you pay for!

I thought the 17-55 was Canon's high quality f/2.8 zoom, not some "kit" lens.

The "kit" lens is usually an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is a MUCH nicer lens.

Were you meaning to refer to the 18-55 when you said "kit" lens?

Also... in tiny web-size images, every lens looks equal (you can hide a lot of flaws when the image is tiny). To compare, you'd need 100% crops. Also you'd want to check the difference between image quality at center vs. image quality off to the edge or corners.

Both lenses would need to be shooting at equal f-stops which are near wide-open. Suppose you had an f/4 lens and an f/2.8 lens... the f/4 might look better... it might even score better MTF curves. But if you stop down the f/2.8 lens to f/4 and compare both lenses at f/4 and it'll completely change everything (which is one of many reasons why it's dangerous to compare MTF curves when lens shopping.)

Thank you for the answer! Yes, I ment 18-55 when I said kit lens..

I will do more tests and hopefully I'll be able to see more difference...

thank you!
david

The "kit" lens is usually an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is a MUCH nicer lens.

Were you meaning to refer to the 18-55 when you said "kit" lens?

Also... in tiny web-size images, every lens looks equal (you can hide a lot of flaws when the image is tiny). To compare, you'd need 100% crops. Also you'd want to check the difference between image quality at center vs. image quality off to the edge or corners.

Both lenses would need to be shooting at equal f-stops which are near wide-open. Suppose you had an f/4 lens and an f/2.8 lens... the f/4 might look better... it might even score better MTF curves. But if you stop down the f/2.8 lens to f/4 and compare both lenses at f/4 and it'll completely change everything (which is one of many reasons why it's dangerous to compare MTF curves when lens shopping.)

I changed the title to 18-55mm.

There is a Canon 17-55mm lens with a maximum aperture of F2.8 and IS. I think that if you tested this one, you'd find it to be much, much better. And if you compared the kit lens to something like the 35mm F1.4 L, you would find it to be much, much, much better.

But all that being said, the best way to improve anyone's photos, is to improve the photographer (knowledge, skill, talent & technique).

Mike,

so you're saying that comparing the kit lens to 17-55 would yield very different results but comparing the kit to 15-85 not so much? I thought that 15-85 and 17-55 are more or less equal in overall IQ (when there is enough light)?

I changed the title to 18-55mm.

There is a Canon 17-55mm lens with a maximum aperture of F2.8 and IS. I think that if you tested this one, you'd find it to be much, much better. And if you compared the kit lens to something like the 35mm F1.4 L, you would find it to be much, much, much better.

But all that being said, the best way to improve anyone's photos, is to improve the photographer (knowledge, skill, talent & technique).

Most reactions

Back