Canon Macro Specific Lens?

thewand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
I'd be temped to wait and see if the 100mm macro gives you enough magnification for your needs. If not, then you know that the MP E will be useful.

I have a 28mm macro, a 55mm macro, and a 160~200mm zoom macro that I currently have a body for. I have others packed away but they don't fit anything I currently own.

Of those the 200 gets used allot. The 28 is useful for adding incredible DOF blur to shots though. My 55mm which is kind of similar to the 65mm you're inquiring about, is too wide (43°) for really cool macro shots - meaning if you want "extreme closeups" your working distance becomes too close - at least for my taste.

Bi the canon 65mm reaches 5:1 macro ;)
its certainly not wide resutlts from what I have seen - however it is rated as one of the hardests lenses to use - it can yeald fabulous results, but needs skill to get there.
I would also second getting and using the canon 100mm macro first - get used to using a normal macro lens and working with a razor fine depth of field. Also get used to tripod work, hunting for resting insects (early morning helps) and using a focusing rail, for whilst the MPE65mm can be used handheld its very hard to do so

Most reactions

Back