Canon Powershot G10?

echodeluxe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello!

i shoot film right now, but i was interested in moving into digital as well. i have little to no experience in the digital realm, and id like so advice about the Canon Powershot G10.

now, all the kids love to go out and spend their parents money on a brand new Nikon D90 or Canon EOS or something, but i dont know if i'm ready to drop the coin necessary for a full out dSLR.

my friend has a Canon G10 and im very impressed. the picture quality is great, it shoots in RAW, the controls are very intuitive, and apparently you can get an adapter and mount different lenses! neato!

well, like i said, im a dummy when it comes to digital photography, so any advice is welcome. anyone here use the Canon Poweshot series? love/hate?

could someone recommend me a dSLR for a beginner like myself, if not the Powershot G10?

thanks!

Seeing as the powershot is 400-500$ (correct me if im wrong) I would just move straight to a D40, D60, D3000 or a Rebel series. These days that level of DSLR is as easy to use as a point and shoot.

You will probally want to upgrade right after you buy a powershot G10.

Christopher,
G9, 10, and G11 are more in b/n P&S and SLRs. It has its advantages of not being big, shooting RAWs but being that it is a P&S it has its limitations nonetheless.

Seeing as the powershot is 400-500$ (correct me if im wrong) I would just move straight to a D40, D60, D3000 or a Rebel series. These days that level of DSLR is as easy to use as a point and shoot.
Agree!

IF you're shooting film and on another thread you said that you're working on associated in photography, you know what the heck you're doing. THUS, either stick to film slr and enjoy the classics or go digital slr and enjoy the view. :thumbup:

Let me help you

Nikon
Digital SLR Cameras from Nikon

Canon http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111

Scroll down to the last camera in the group, and the cheapest, and I think we've found entry level

Canon
EOS Rebel XS
Canon EOS Rebel XS

Nikon D40
D40 from Nikon

Nikon SLR camera comparison
http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/DSLR_Compare.pdf

Canon product advisor is on here on the right under choose the right product
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111
http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/DSLR_Compare.pdf

Nikon D40 $410 new $340 used
Nikon D40 Digital camera - SLR - 6.1 Megapixel - 3 x optical zoom - Black

Canon Rebel XS $475 new $450 used
Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital camera - SLR with Live View mode - 10.1 Megapixel - 3 x optical zoom - Black

Nikon D60 $430 new, $345 used
Nikon D60 Digital camera - SLR - 10.2 Megapixel

Nikon D3000 $480 new
Nikon D3000 Digital camera - SLR - 10.2 Megapixel

D5000 $570 new
Nikon D5000 Digital camera - SLR with Live View mode, movie recording - 12.3 Megapixel

Now we can see the difference in these at the comparison chart once again. Rule of thumb might be, the newest models, or the models highest on that Nikon SLR page, might be the best your money can buy.

Canon rebel Xsi $515 new, $490 used
Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital camera - SLR with Live View mode - 12.2 Megapixel - Black

Canon Rebel T1i $612 new, $600 used
Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital camera - SLR with Live View mode, movie recording - 15.1 Megapixel

Let me google that for you

haha thank you, Dominantly.

the reason i was checking out the G10 is because i like the compactness. i end up kicking myself because i will come across an amazing scene, only to have left my SLR at home because carrying around all the time is a pain in the ass because of the size.

i agree that it might make more sense going for an entry level dSLR, but im concerned about size and even more concerned about picture quality. the G10 brags a 14.7 megapixel sensor. am i gonna get anywhere near that in an entry level camera?

i am aware that it really makes more of a difference in lenses than the body itself, but i feel like i might be limiting myself in quality with an entry level dSLR. i almost feel like i should just dive straight into a mid level dSLR if i want to go that route.

I dove in, my D90 is on its way right now.

The answer is no, you wont get near 14mp with a entry level, but mp's dont matter that much. The ability to buy new lenses and upgrade lenses should matter the most. And the entry level dslr's are the most compact. If you go mid range you will notice that the size gets larger and larger.

The answer is no, you wont get near 14mp with a entry level, but mp's dont matter that much. The ability to buy new lenses and upgrade lenses should matter the most. And the entry level dslr's are the most compact. If you go mid range you will notice that the size gets larger and larger.

see this is interesting. i dont know much about digital, so i dont know how important megapixel count is when it comes to dSLRs. but i mean, i kinda figured that lenses would make the most difference.

thats another concern, however. the macro setting on the G10 is incredible, and with a dSLR, im gonna have to buy a seperate macro lens ($$$) as well as whatever other accessory lens i need. i just worry about hemorrhaging money when i dont need to just yet, you know?

see this is interesting. i dont know much about digital, so i dont know how important megapixel count is when it comes to dSLRs. but i mean, i kinda figured that lenses would make the most difference.

thats another concern, however. the macro setting on the G10 is incredible, and with a dSLR, im gonna have to buy a seperate macro lens ($$$) as well as whatever other accessory lens i need. i just worry about hemorrhaging money when i dont need to just yet, you know?

Some lenses can actually can perform many functions, you dont exactly need a lens for portraits, a lens for landscapes, and a lens for macro.

Money however can be an issue, this isnt a cheap hobby. ;)

well, i hope to start doing pro shooting part time eventually. most of it will most likely be film, but i do want some digital flexibility.

to be honest, i may want to overlook the G10 completely. i have a Sony CST-10 point and shoot that takes amazing pictures. and its tiny. maybe i should stick with that and go for a Canon Rebel XTi? it looks nice.

well, i hope to start doing pro shooting part time eventually. most of it will most likely be film, but i do want some digital flexibility.

to be honest, i may want to overlook the G10 completely. i have a Sony CST-10 point and shoot that takes amazing pictures. and its tiny. maybe i should stick with that and go for a Canon Rebel XTi? it looks nice.

Sure, im a nikon person so I dont know much about Canon but that would be a good camera to learn on.

well thanks for the advice. you guys have been a big help.

any big canon lovers here?

Why do you desire to shoot film?
Do you know the capabilities the Digital SLR side provides you with vs film?

Any reason in particular you are Canon set?

i know why digital > film but i LOVE the darkroom process. its an art form that is overlooked by a lot. i shoot mostly black and white anyhow.

the reason i want to do digital is so i can have that versatility.

i have friends who are pros who swear by canon. i also have friends that swear by nikon. in the end, i found the canon cameras to be very comfortable and i know they dont have the world renown Nikkor lenses but the quality is there.

i havent written off nikon yet. im still researching!

i know why digital > film but i LOVE the darkroom process. its an art form that is overlooked by a lot. i shoot mostly black and white anyhow.

i have friends who are pros who swear by canon. i also have friends that swear by nikon. in the end, i found the canon cameras to be very comfortable and i know they dont have the world renown Nikkor lenses but the quality is there.

The best way to decide is to hold both in your hands. Not on specs, but just in your hands.

In the digital world we may not have a darkroom, which as you say is an art for itself.... but we do have post processing, which itself is it's own art form.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back