Canon Rebel K2 35mm with 28-90mm lens - buy?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by lordfly, Feb 13, 2010.

1. lordfly

lordfly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay, so the local Walmart happens to have a clearance Canon EOS Rebel K2 35mm camera kit; it comes with a 28-90mm Type III (?) Lens, and the body, and is on clearance for 99 dollars.

I have a Rebel XTi; can the lens on the film camera fit my DSLR? If so, is it worth it? I sadly don't have the funds to get a ton of awesome kit, but everywhere I'm looking online it seems the lens itself goes for a fair bit more than 99 bucks. It would have a slightly longer focal length than my current kit lens (which is only 18-55 and isn't IS either). It would be nice to have a little bit of versatility.

Just wondering. :)

2. lordfly

lordfly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess not either way? :p

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

The lens will work in your camera but it is not a lens that I will get. If I have $99 and only have the kit lens with the Canon DSLR, I'd rather buy the EF 50mm F/1.8 MKII lens instead.

However, if you really want to play with a film camera, that is a different story. The lens itself cost about $90 in the past.

And if you really looking for a cheap telephoto lens, you maybe better off getting a telephoto zoom lens made by a 3rd party companies such as Sigma, Tamron or Tokina.

4. lordfly

lordfly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I wasn't sure how much utility there'd be in having a lens that only has about 40mm on my current kit lens (18-55). One of the downsides of this new hobby of mine is that everything is obscenely expensive :p

If I were to dip into film it would definitely be with weird/old/cheap cameras, like a Holga or something. I have a hard enough time telling the appreciative difference between ISO 100 and ISO 1600 on my DSLR, so it's doubtful I'd be able to see the light between a well-developed film and a similar digital image.

Cheers!