Canon vs. Nikon?

Everyone else has already said it, but I will too.. your teachers are just wrong, and i'm a Nikon shooter. Personally, I think you should take the class anyway and prove that brand doesn't matter.

Last edited:
This post is not intended to start a Canon vs. Nikon war, I'm just curious. I know everyone has their preference, but is there a big difference in the brands? I have taken several photo classes now and every instructor has totally dissed Canon. In my last class the instructor said on the first day that "Nikon is just better" and looked pained whenever he had to help someone who had a Canon. In another class I was told that only Nikon takes sharp pictures, that pictures from a Canon are always soft. I recently tried to sign up for another class and the instructor asked me what type of camera I had. When I told him Canon he said it would be hard for me to accomplish anything in his class because I wasn't working with top of the line equipment. I always thought that GOOD photographers make great pictures, not the particular form of technology you choose to use. Most of the photo stores in my area seem to push Nikon as well. I chose a Canon because all of my friends and family have Canons and spoke highly of the brand, nothing against Nikon.

He is a tosser you won't learn anything from him try and find another class

I guess I lucked out with the 2 teachers i have had so far (and will have until I done with these courses)

One is a Canon shooter (heavier on photoshop, and makes movies to) and the other is a Nikon shooter (heavier on commercial work). Both have always said that Nikon and Canon are both great cameras and its more of a user preference to choose which to get (specially at our level of knowledge). At the high end, they both offer a huge range of functionality and both systems offer a huge range of lenses that can offer amazing pictures.

Haha, those pictures are great!

Sooo...if the instructors in my area aren't the best teachers...what is the best way to learn and get better on my own? The forum has been awesome, but sometimes you just want a human being there showing you stuff, ya know?
You can learn quite a bit on your own through experimentation, good books and finding others in your area to shoot with.

I found friends through Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com. I am now going to several group functions a month that offer everything from courses for beginners to studio sessions with models. There's no substitute for sitting down with your gear and shooting pics, taking notes, and learning through trial and error.

Of course you will need a good basic understanding of photography before some of the things make much sense, for that I highly recommend this book: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239214799&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition): Bryan Peterson: Books[/ame]

Once armed with knowledge, you'll just need to get the shutter time to really improve your photography. I can't believe how much my photographs have improved over the last few months using this method.

I always argue with my teacher that canon is better than nikon and vice-versa. But at the end we both know none of them is better lol. And do what someone else said, get a bunch of Canon prints and ask what camera it was taken with, maybe add in some pentax and Sony shots also. O and get a hidden camera so we can see his reaction :D

I have a few questions....

1) He said because you were not using top of the line equipment, all you stated was Canon. It could be you are using a low end Canon P&S in a DSLR class because you never specified any of that. So what camera do you have?

2) You ask how you can get help in your area but you did not fill in where you are in your profile so we have no way to help you find help. Where are you? What city, state, country, continent, planet, solar system, galaxy?

Allan

Thread still going huh. Let me try and help...

1. the president's picture was taken with a canon.
2. Nasa uses nikon cameras and lenses.

Does that help you decide? lol, Go to your nearest camera shop and play with both of them and make your own choice.

Thread still going huh. Let me try and help...

1. the president's picture was taken with a canon.
2. Nasa uses nikon cameras and lenses.

Does that help you decide? lol, Go to your nearest camera shop and play with both of them and make your own choice.

Nasa also contracts with the lowest bidder. :lmao:

I always argue with my teacher that canon is better than nikon and vice-versa. But at the end we both know none of them is better lol. And do what someone else said, get a bunch of Canon prints and ask what camera it was taken with, maybe add in some pentax and Sony shots also. O and get a hidden camera so we can see his reaction :D

me and my teacher do the same thing. Just I have a Nikon, and she has a canon. I even wrote a persuasive report on why I feel Nikon is better than Canon....didnt work out to well. I ended up just saying everything good about Nikon and everything bad about canon....
We switched lens caps and straps, just cause we can. So now my Nikon Fm10 has a Canon EOS Digital Strap (even better, my camera uses film) and my one lens has a Canon Lens cap (my other lens cap is to small. darn shucks)

Yeah, Canon isn't really a professional photogs gear of choice. I mean, it's not like you would find a White House Photographer using something like a Canon or anything.

You never see white lenses (a Canon trademark) at big events or anything either.

canon_lens_shot.jpg

152386454_fa67e5da89.jpg

Olympics.jpg

I would say your "instructors" probably shouldn't be instructing and should be working behind a Nikon sales counter. They obviously are either ignorant or are so fiercely brand loyal they're extremely poor instructors. :D

wasnt their an entire thread saying everything wrong with the portrait? The only good thing I remember was that it was Tack sharp.

And notice....the people shoooting the canon cameras....are sitting in front of an Olympus sign....and one lens has duct tape on it....:lol:

So do all government agencies, hence I would say that the President's photo was also taken by the lowest bidder.

Allan
It was a private purchase. The photographer has been a Canon shooter for some time. Not that it matters. ;)

Nasa also contracts with the lowest bidder. :lmao:

Actually it had nothing to do with contract bidding. Canon's equipment would not hold up to the vibration while launching due to certain chemicals used to produce there lenses.

Back to the OP:

Quite a few Canon cameras produce rather soft images, I can vouch for that. But a bit of tweaking here and there should fix it; and anyway, it's only very obvious when pixel-peeping.

I also say, while I disagree with that instructor, that he could be looking 'pained' because he isn't used to a Canon camera. But of course, that's giving him the benefit of doubt. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back