TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
er111a.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
thank you!
IMG_0008_edited-1.jpg

Well, if this were mine, it wouldn't see the light of the day...

To be blunt, the only thing I like about it is the star trails and they're barely visible. I think I'd chalk this up to learning and make a mental note as to what doesn't work when trying to get good star trails with an interesting foreground. Also next time I wouldn't put the moon in the frame, it's a bit too much..

I have to agree with reznap, above. The moon is just so bright/overexposed and right in the middle of the frame that it hurts my eyes and I don't want to look at anything else. I see faint star trails too, but the moon is just so overpowering that they're not very noticeable. The out of focus tangled/messy tree branches are a bit awkward to my eye as well.. I would like to see either a nice properly exposed photo of the moon with tree branches silhouetted, or properly exposed star trails, or focused tree branches with a fainter moon more in the corner of the frame.. But instead it's an amalgamation of all of the above with nothing really "shining" above anything else.

Sorry to be so negative, but I know you can do better =)

i have to say i dont particularly care for it but shooting the moon is difficult so kudos for trying. I haven't gotten that courageous yet

My thought is to kill-file the shot and go about recreating it in a manner that looks decent...which would be to shoot the shot with a daylight exposure for the moon, ie, the ISO at 100, shutter at 1/200 second, and lens aperture at f/11, and then use flash to light up the tree limbs.

So you HAVE a better one!
That should make the decision easy to bin the one with the all overexposed moon!

And Vivarent, when you take photos of the moon, don't let you camera fool you into longer exposures than are necessary. Actually, the moon itself is a bright as the sun (or almost), only does the dark night around it suggest to the camera that "it is dark, expose for long". Not so. Like Derrel is saying: 1/200 sec exposure is absolutely all right, you don't need any more. Your light metre will say "Heeey, too dark", but ignore it. :D

I have learned that shooting long exposures with trees requires a long distance shot or no wind.

Just look at my discarded trees file...:mrgreen:

i have to say i dont particularly care for it but shooting the moon is difficult so kudos for trying. I haven't gotten that courageous yet
I have shot the moon before
058.jpg

and some sky trails
sky2.jpg

I was trying something new with the first one in this post

You DO have good photos!
Why take 10 steps back then? I understand you were trying to do something new, but didn't you see for yourself right away that it didn't work in the way you had hoped it would? That your trying out something new was a total failure and you ended up with a photo that is so much worse than many you have taken before?

are you stacking those last star trails? or......?

trash the first one. the last two are AWESOME in comparison

Most reactions

New Topics

Back