Can't decide

KaPOWitsCHRIS

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Entering a competition and I can't decide which of the following is the strongest that would give me the best possible chance...

_MG_4304.jpg

_MG_4324.jpg

_MG_4316.jpg

_MG_4341.jpg

I can't help you pick out the one most likely to win, since that will depend on what the judges like.

I do think #3 is the weakest -- is this an abstract, or a sort of uninteresting cityscape?

I like #1 the best, largely because I don't much like abstracts.

^ Funny, I would have said 3 is the best. Can you brighten up the buildings slightly though? What is the judging criteria? Best overall black and white photo?

The theme is "City". Recently I just can't seem to produce any decent colour photos so they've all been converted to black and white.

I was floored by #2. Like "Wow! What the heck is that? It's stunning!" But then again I tend to like abstract which doesn't help your City theme.

Since the theme is city, I'd say picture 3 is the best. Do you want me to try and lighten up the buildings some, or do you like them dark?

Since the theme is city, I'd say picture 3 is the best. Do you want me to try and lighten up the buildings some, or do you like them dark?

That's alright, I've got the RAW to go back and tweak :)

Edit:

Lightened buildings

mg43162.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I do wonder though if it could benefit a crop utilizing the rule of 3rds? Just noticing all your lines are pretty mid point.

Nice. I do wonder though if it could benefit a crop utilizing the rule of 3rds? Just noticing all your lines are pretty mid point.

Personally, I think this is an instance where it works; you have this curvy line midway through the photo that creates a very interesting (to me) impact--a single photo that is really two different photos. If anything, I'd be tempted to center it a little more.

I LOVE #2--I'd love it even more if it was cropped at the left and top just enough to eliminate the sky completely.

However, since the theme is "City" I'm inclined to think #3 (the lightened version) might be the one to go with. Still, if it was me, I'd be really tempted to go with a cropped version of #2. I assume that in your city, this is an extremely "recognizable" building, and so it might work to enter an abstract of it. It would at least be really different!

Personally, I think this is an instance where it works; you have this curvy line midway through the photo that creates a very interesting (to me) impact--a single photo that is really two different photos. If anything, I'd be tempted to center it a little more.

I LOVE #2--I'd love it even more if it was cropped at the left and top just enough to eliminate the sky completely.

However, since the theme is "City" I'm inclined to think #3 (the lightened version) might be the one to go with. Still, if it was me, I'd be really tempted to go with a cropped version of #2. I assume that in your city, this is an extremely "recognizable" building, and so it might work to enter an abstract of it. It would at least be really different!

Originally I did crop the sky out, but it didn't look as good, the curve of the building was no along as strong. I'd have to go reshoot to get the building to curve an attractive way without any sky.

When you enter these competitions, you need to remember that the theme is up to your interpretation. You don't have to take it so literally. That being said, I would say that your strongest shot is #2. You might want to mess around w/ the crop a little. I can't tell if it would look better w/ out the sky or w/ it.
#3 BTW doesn't do it for me. The structure is cool but the background is lacking in any real interest.
Good luck w/ the contest and let us know how it goes.

I have to agree with this. It's very yin/yang. I can dig it.

This is what I was talking about. I don't think the sky is a problem. But when you move it over one way or the other it gives your eye a starting place. At least for me. Also, I lightened it a tad to try to bring out the city. But ultimately it is up to you and it seems my take on it is not shared so, what can I say.

$mg43162a.jpg

For what is worth I like photographiend's version. ^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back