Can't decide

Just my opinion...

Which shot to enter depends on how gutsy you want to be with your interpretation of the City theme. Shot #2 is far and away my favorite based on each shot's individual merits. Until I saw the later images I had no idea what shot 2 was - my first thought was that it was of pin-studded fabric draped over the arm of a chair (or something along those lines). Now that I know it's a structure, it's clearly iconic and identifiable to locals, so you might be okay (you haven't mentioned whether this is a local competition or a national/online competition). I personally think it looks better as is than with a tighter crop - the curve against the background (not really identifiable as sky in the monochrome conversion) adds an interesting element, whereas cropping to remove all or most of the sky would remove some interesting aspects.

If you don't think it's appropriate to go with the gutsy architectural abstract, I'd suggest a re-edit or reshoot of #3. I like having the foreground structure / background city split being horizontally centered. What bugs me is the tilt to the image. If you want to have the city have that prominent a role, treat it as though it's as much your subject as the cool curvy wall. If you get the lines of the buildings nicely orthogonal, it will make the curve of the wall all that much more interesting. And if you have time to reshoot it, pick the moment (heck, take multiple shots and composite if needed) when the city portion looks idea - consider traffic (or lack thereof), the sky, etc.

I second the motion to let us know what you ultimately enter and how it goes. Good luck!

Well I have entered the second one. Will report back if I get into the top 5, and post the link to the poll for voting...

Thanks for everyone's responses, greatly appreciated it, I am very indecisive.

I think the first one is interesting. It shows the strength and the base of the city. For me first one is best.

All the best for your competition.

Given the choices you offered I think the only one that fits the theme of "City" would be number 3, number one is a single building which has issues all of it's own however, you can't tell if it is a single building in the country side, nothing about it conveys "City" the building could be almost anywhere. Number two and four are IMO very interesting it would be hard to tell they have anything to do with a city, unless you knew what and where they are. I hope this logic helps you.

Yep, Photographiend's crop gets the gold.

Im more for the #2 but that looks very like one of win7 picture from the same buildning.
Ofcourse might be har not to get a simmular picture of a buildning like that.

# 2 absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! #4 is also pretty good.

#3 for the win! :)

Didn't even make the Top 5. Link if anyone wants to see the ones that did and vote for one of them

"rottroll" is very nice. Also, the photo of the Champs-Élysées has a special feel. The rest are good, but nothing award-winning.

Most reactions

Back