can't prevent rolling shutter when recording lasers!

Thank you for your replies.

Frame rate and shutter speed are different.
I didn't say they are. I just meant I found cheap cameras that have CCD sensor but can record a video at 25-30 fps. The reason I mentioned fps because a little older or cheaper models I had found before couldnt record hi res at higher than 15 fps.

So my question was, is there anything wrong with using these kind of cameras for my task? Like "Canon PowerShot A3350 IS"? Again, I'm a noob at cameras. I've found a camera that I can use to record lasers and it *seems* to work for me. But maybe there are some other factors I don't know which makes using these kind of old cheap cameras having a CCD sensor not a good idea.
English isnt my first language so I hope I can explain what I want to know.

If you know what hertz the lasers are and set the shutter speed according to that you should solve the problem. For example office fluorescent light are 60 hertz so setting the shutter speed to 60 or 125 will make it so there is no flicker.

In fact I'd be willing to bet if you set the shutter speed to 1/60 you'd have no issues.
I've tried setting the shutter speed to that.
The problem is not flickering effect.
With lasers it's kHz, not Hz, so I think that's why it doesn't help. The galvanometers (mirrors) can move the laser beam at kHz speeds and the brightness/color of the beam can be changed at kHz speeds.

Well in that case you want something that can capture as much as possible in a given second. Considering you can't buy a 10,000fps camera you are going to have get a 60fps capable camera.

Again I am not 100% on what the issue is.

I'm not really familiar with this effect, or what causes it, but you seem to think it is related to the shutter (based off previous research). If this is true, could using a different type of shutter solve it? There have been a few mirror less cameras with leaf shutters released recently. (I'm thinking of the fuji x100s, but there may be others.) it may be worth looking in to that.

Well in that case you want something that can capture as much as possible in a given second.
I don't think so. (BTW I've tried recording at 60 fps).
Laser projectors rely on the limit of the human eye's speed. it's just a single beam moving very fast and changing color very fast, but its still a single thin beam. But because it is moving and modulating so fast to our eyes it looks like there are multiple beams, long thin beams, waves and similar kind of beams in the air, because that single thin beam is "drawing" them really fast.
So I actually need something that mimics the human eye the most.

The reason I wanted to set the shutter speed closest to the fps was because I thought, and again I'm a noob, that it would prevent the rolling shutter effect. but it turned out it didn't and I also learned yesterday that a CCD sensor got rid of the rolling shutter artifact completely.
But I've only found old (2009-) cameras that have CCD in them. I'm just asking now if you think it will be a good idea to use old cheap CCD photo cameras which can also record video or if you have a better idea.

Most reactions

Back