carrying camera around town/city...

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was just wondering, how do you guys feel about carrying your camera around your neck while walking around a city or town? I was in Lake Geneva today, (WI) and didn't want to look like a tourist, but I wanted to take photos of the buildings and the street, ect ect. How do you guys go about doing this, keep the camera in a back pack, and take it out as wanted, or just leave it out and "to hell what other people think" type of attitude? I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, just want some other opinions. thanks alot

Carrying a camera around, is a pain. It's funny, I just saw someone's myspace picture I was in, and I was thinking about how I look like a total tourist!
But I just carry it around, and hell with what other people think. I usually keep the strap on one shoulder off to the side. I think it makes me look less like a tourist. Plus it's a lot more comfortable that way

yeah same here..I just keep my camera to my side whenever I walk around

if i don't feel like wearing it around my neck, i wrap my strap around my right hand so i still have a relatively secure grip on the camera

If you're photographing in (inner) cities theft or robbery can be a problem for someone running round with extremely visible and recognizable expensive equipment around their neck. So you'd be wise to not attract undue attention to yourself.
Here's a couple ways you can do that:
1) cover up all big brand names on your strap(s) and bag(s) – e.g. with a big black felt marker – because otherwise those are just huge "nick-me" ads,
2) carry your equipment in a used local supermarket bag instead of in an easily recognizable camera bag,
3) never leave your gear anywhere unsupervised (like in hotel rooms), and
4) check if your insurance is up to scratch.

However: equipment can easily be replaced. Your photos cannot! They are unique! So losing your photos is a much greater disaster than theft/loss of your equipment!

i wrap the strap around my wrist and camera twice and around the camera a certain way so it's practically freezes my hand in a position that's forced to hold the camera no matter where my hand is. it also seems impossible for the camera to fall off this way. haha. took me awhile to figure it out.

Hmm, it looks like the original question is not about theft, but about looking as a dumb tourist. I know that feeling all too well, I usually try to blend in with the locals where ever I am, and a camera sorts of spoils this.

But once you have more gear that just the camera, if you get a tripod out, filters, and so on, then the situation gets better, any you are often considerer a "photographer" and not a "tourist" anymore ;)

My safety and the security of my gear are more important to me than my public image.

I don't live in a large city, and haven't been to one in about 3 years. I just strap mine to my neck. I don't care what people think and want to make sure the camera isn't dropped.

I suppose if I don't want to look like a tourist, I could put a hood on the lens, but who really cares? I'm out to take pictures, not impress people.

Most of the time I like to shoot where there aren't alot of people anyway, so it's not usually an issue.

My safety and the security of my gear are more important to me than my public image.

yes of course, but it is two totally different issues ;)

Of course cooking after your gear should be done, always, even more when lots of strangers are around. And areas/cities where one should hide his camera. But then again, to take pictures you have to get it out finally...

And by the way, as a side effect, blending in with the locals is also the best way to not appear as an easy target (such as tourists usually are)

Originally Posted by Alfred D.
yes of course, but it is two totally different issues
I disagree: flaunting your gear is an invitation to robbers and thieves.
It is also tasteless.

I disagree: flaunting your gear is an invitation to robbers and thieves.
It is also tasteless.

ok, I think you did not at all understand what I said.

never mind, i am in a hurry now.

Being unobtrusive is a state of mind as well as a physical appearance thing. As Alex says, not drawing attention to yourself has two advantages, one that assists with your photography and one that helps prevent trouble.

If I'm carrying anything but a TLR or two I carry my camera in front of the camera bag/handbag (US 'purse') over my shoulder and behind my hand, so it is almost invisible but ready for action. It is most likely that anyone giving me a casual glance will not notice it.

When I actually raise my camera and take a picture I do it almost like lifting my handkerchief to blow my nose.

As the issue of security has been raised, the only times I have had problems is when I have maintained a concentrated gaze through the viewfinder for any length of time, and in so doing lost my awareness of the things around me. This is common when using a motion picture camera, of course. I've found that it's important to keep the strap wrapped once round my hand - a typical steamer-type attack will come from behind - someone hits your back, and as you react to that someone runs past trying to grab your camera.

Early in my career in documentary film and photography I was told that photographers needed to think 'invisibility' and cinematographers needed to think 'invulnerability'.

Best,
Helen

my camera foes where I go,,,,in the car between my legs,,dont want to miss a good shot,,,on the street in the mall,, one never knows what will pop up,,,usually carry it on my rite shoulder that way I can just swing it up ,,,I dont usually go into big cities as I live rural....

Around the neck and the shoulder (extra anchoring to the body). It's not that I don't care what others think. It's more that I don't want to raise suspicions by having the appearance of trying to hide it. And less stress on the back than just hanging over the neck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back