carrying camera around town/city...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by darkpbstar, May 24, 2008.

1. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

I was just wondering, how do you guys feel about carrying your camera around your neck while walking around a city or town? I was in Lake Geneva today, (WI) and didn't want to look like a tourist, but I wanted to take photos of the buildings and the street, ect ect. How do you guys go about doing this, keep the camera in a back pack, and take it out as wanted, or just leave it out and "to hell what other people think" type of attitude? I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, just want some other opinions. thanks alot

2. Phazan

Phazan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Carrying a camera around, is a pain. It's funny, I just saw someone's myspace picture I was in, and I was thinking about how I look like a total tourist!
    But I just carry it around, and hell with what other people think. I usually keep the strap on one shoulder off to the side. I think it makes me look less like a tourist. Plus it's a lot more comfortable that way

3. Mathias13

Mathias13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah same here..I just keep my camera to my side whenever I walk around

4. goodoneian

goodoneian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if i don't feel like wearing it around my neck, i wrap my strap around my right hand so i still have a relatively secure grip on the camera

5. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

If you're photographing in (inner) cities theft or robbery can be a problem for someone running round with extremely visible and recognizable expensive equipment around their neck. So you'd be wise to not attract undue attention to yourself.
    Here's a couple ways you can do that:
    1) cover up all big brand names on your strap(s) and bag(s) – e.g. with a big black felt marker – because otherwise those are just huge "nick-me" ads,
    2) carry your equipment in a used local supermarket bag instead of in an easily recognizable camera bag,
    3) never leave your gear anywhere unsupervised (like in hotel rooms), and
    4) check if your insurance is up to scratch.

However: equipment can easily be replaced. Your photos cannot! They are unique! So losing your photos is a much greater disaster than theft/loss of your equipment!

6. shawnxstl

shawnxstl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i wrap the strap around my wrist and camera twice and around the camera a certain way so it's practically freezes my hand in a position that's forced to hold the camera no matter where my hand is. it also seems impossible for the camera to fall off this way. haha. took me awhile to figure it out.

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmm, it looks like the original question is not about theft, but about looking as a dumb tourist. I know that feeling all too well, I usually try to blend in with the locals where ever I am, and a camera sorts of spoils this.

But once you have more gear that just the camera, if you get a tripod out, filters, and so on, then the situation gets better, any you are often considerer a "photographer" and not a "tourist" anymore ;)

8. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

My safety and the security of my gear are more important to me than my public image.

9. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't live in a large city, and haven't been to one in about 3 years. I just strap mine to my neck. I don't care what people think and want to make sure the camera isn't dropped.

I suppose if I don't want to look like a tourist, I could put a hood on the lens, but who really cares? I'm out to take pictures, not impress people.

Most of the time I like to shoot where there aren't alot of people anyway, so it's not usually an issue.

10. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes of course, but it is two totally different issues ;)

Of course cooking after your gear should be done, always, even more when lots of strangers are around. And areas/cities where one should hide his camera. But then again, to take pictures you have to get it out finally...

And by the way, as a side effect, blending in with the locals is also the best way to not appear as an easy target (such as tourists usually are)

11. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

I disagree: flaunting your gear is an invitation to robbers and thieves.
    It is also tasteless.

12. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok, I think you did not at all understand what I said.

never mind, i am in a hurry now.