CC ethics

[QUOTE="Derrel, post: 3507078, member: 44194"My experience also shows that once these same people get a few years of experience, they often move to the category of, "Don't say anything bad about my pictures--I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING, so kindly STFU, and praise my skills!"[/QUOTE]

Hey......I know people like that!

In fact, LOTS of them.

What are your thoughts....
If he didn't specifically ask for C&C, then don't offer it.

Some people just aren't interested in what other people think about their artwork.

Also; you shouldn't confuse a "like" on FB with educated criticism.

If photos are posted in a place that's publicly viewable I don't think it's likely you can control what others may say or do regarding your photos (or control what the website does or allows with your photos once you've agreed to their Terms).

So if the guy didn't want any comments he probably shouldn't have posted his pictures there and invited people to view them. If your comment was tactful and done in a friendly, helpful way but still wasn't appreciated then it might be best to unfollow/unfriend him and be done with it.

If photos are posted in a place that's publicly viewable I don't think it's likely you can control what others may say or do regarding your photos (or control what the website does or allows with your photos once you've agreed to their Terms).

So if the guy didn't want any comments he probably shouldn't have posted his pictures there and invited people to view them. If your comment was tactful and done in a friendly, helpful way but still wasn't appreciated then it might be best to unfollow/unfriend him and be done with it.

Sounds like the same logic as "if you don't want your photos stolen, then don't post them online!" to me

Well, I don't think you can make them publicly available and expect that no one will comment or critique or use them. Especially if the site allows unlimited, perpetual use and sublicensing, etc. etc. It doesn't seem to serve much purpose to post them indiscriminately instead of in a way that markets your photos for a specific reason or shows them to a specific audience.

For me, C&C on FB *is* a little different than in other places, like TPF for instance.
It kinda depends on WHERE on FB, but generally speaking, if it is a FB page for a specific person's photography, I would NOT offer C&C unless information on the page specifically invited such comments. If I felt strongly that the person might need/want some guidance on a particular shot they had posted, I would send them a private message, not post it on the wall.

Why would I NOT give C&C on a personal photography page? Because, for MOST photographers, their FB page is in essence their "public gallery." It seems a little bit like walking into someone's studio, with a few dozen other people mingling around looking at the art/photography on the walls, and saying, "Hey, Dude! These are nice, but this one right here? You're doing that wrong."
OTOH, sending a private message is the public gallery equivalent of waiting until other patrons are not around, and then having a private conversation with the person about your insights for improving a photo.

Well that would be an appropriate way to approach it, Sharon - because you're a nice and decent person who can behave in a sane and sensible way!

I just think if photos are made public you can't assume that everyone's going to approach it in a positive way. It could be hard to know how they'd respond to critique. In this situation, apparently not all that well.

Well that would be an appropriate way to approach it, Sharon - because you're a nice and decent person who can behave in a sane and sensible way!

I just think if photos are made public you can't assume that everyone's going to approach it in a positive way. It could be hard to know how they'd respond to critique. In this situation, apparently not all that well.

I agree. If you post photos online, you absolutely can't assume everyone will play nice. And I definitely think the guy should not have reacted the way he did. No sense getting your britches in a snit about stuff like that.

However, the specific question that the OP is asking is:
So it got me thinking to what exactly are the ethics of CC? Why invite me to Like your page if you don't want me to say anything?

And that was why I responded as I did. Asking someone to "like" your FB page is like asking them to come by your gallery--well, really it's like asking them to come by a few times a week, every time you put up new stuff.
And "ethically," I just don't think it would be appropriate to post C&C on someone's FB page, any more than it would be to make a public comment in their crowded gallery.
But that doesn't mean everyone will PLAY by those rules. That's a whole separate issue!

For me, C&C on FB *is* a little different than in other places, like TPF for instance.
It kinda depends on WHERE on FB, but generally speaking, if it is a FB page for a specific person's photography, I would NOT offer C&C unless information on the page specifically invited such comments. If I felt strongly that the person might need/want some guidance on a particular shot they had posted, I would send them a private message, not post it on the wall.

Why would I NOT give C&C on a personal photography page? Because, for MOST photographers, their FB page is in essence their "public gallery." It seems a little bit like walking into someone's studio, with a few dozen other people mingling around looking at the art/photography on the walls, and saying, "Hey, Dude! These are nice, but this one right here? You're doing that wrong."
OTOH, sending a private message is the public gallery equivalent of waiting until other patrons are not around, and then having a private conversation with the person about your insights for improving a photo.

This.

Especially if the site allows unlimited, perpetual use and sublicensing, etc. etc.

which sites (actually) do this?

I usually don't C&C anything on FB.

This so true. Friends and family always fawn over your work . . .
No, not always. Since my son and my niece are a bit more serious about photography that the rest of the family, I have never given either one anything less than honest opinions. Now the cell-phone-selfie crowd -- that's another story.

10587_416765631705452_1174340733_n.jpg

Which is why I don't facebook!!!

I usually don't C&C anything on FB.

This so true. Friends and family always fawn over your work . . .
No, not always. Since my son and my niece are a bit more serious about photography that the rest of the family, I have never given either one anything less than honest opinions. Now the cell-phone-selfie crowd -- that's another story.

Good on you, Charlie.

I find that most "serious" photographers (whether pro or even amateurs at an advanced level of skill) are probably NOT posting their gallery pages on Facebook. I technically have a FB account... because annoyingly people ask me to look at something on FB and you can't even look unless you have an account. So I made an account that I mostly never use (perhaps once very few months I log in.)

Most serious photographers probably either have their own gallery/studio page, or they use a service such as 500px... or even Flickr.

I'm only reading your perspective on the story. My own opinion is that if someone ASKS for comments or feedback then they'd better not melt if the feedback isn't 100% praise. I typically try to find both constructively positive and negative elements when leaving a comment because if it's only negative it tends to discourage and I don't want to discourage anyone.

If a person posts an image and they did not ask for any comments, then I tend not to give any (and then you always get the user who asks why nobody comments.)

For a lot of reasons, I dislike Facebook and especially dislike it for photography. Google+ has a MUCH MUCH stronger photography community.

I find that most "serious" photographers (whether pro or even amateurs at an advanced level of skill) are probably NOT posting their gallery pages on Facebook. I technically have a FB account... because annoyingly people ask me to look at something on FB and you can't even look unless you have an account. So I made an account that I mostly never use (perhaps once very few months I log in.)

Most serious photographers probably either have their own gallery/studio page, or they use a service such as 500px... or even Flickr.

I'm only reading your perspective on the story. My own opinion is that if someone ASKS for comments or feedback then they'd better not melt if the feedback isn't 100% praise. I typically try to find both constructively positive and negative elements when leaving a comment because if it's only negative it tends to discourage and I don't want to discourage anyone.

If a person posts an image and they did not ask for any comments, then I tend not to give any (and then you always get the user who asks why nobody comments.)

For a lot of reasons, I dislike Facebook and especially dislike it for photography. Google+ has a MUCH MUCH stronger photography community.

Really? Basically every pro photographer I know has a FB page. I know of only one or two who don't use FB. And the problem I see with G+ is that it's all other photographers- not potential customers. It sucks because FB can really kill the quality with its compression for certain images, but I've had tons of sales through it, and 0 through G+

Most reactions

New Topics

Back