CC on this quick photo.

Math is objective. Art is subjective.

An answer in math is right or wrong. Art can be right or wrong, depending on the person viewing it.

No one is enforcing any wrong answers; everyone gave OP plenty of direction.

Your argument is invalid.

Math is objective. Art is subjective.

An answer in math is right or wrong. Art can be right or wrong, depending on the person viewing it.

No one is enforcing any wrong answers; everyone gave OP plenty of direction.

Your argument is invalid.

And?

C&C doesn't fall in the "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" category. Folks here want to learn how to be better photographers, but there's a way to do it. Throwing rocks and stoning them off the board is not very productive. I guess maturity comes with age.

How would I eliminate the dark shadows in her eye sockets without a flash?

You could try turning off the overhead lighting. All of it since it is distracting anyway. Too bad you don't own a flash. If you did, you could bounce the flash off the laptop or "laptop simulator" (a sheet of white paper taped over the laptop screen).

So try this again with correct light.

I own an external flash that mounts to the top of the camera, however Im not comfortable with flash photography yet, it seems to make things too bright when I dont want them.

It is probably time for you to learn how to use off-camera flash. The flash doesn't have to be extra bright, you can either shoot manual (including flash settings) or get a "smart" speedlight setup. Either way, the flash power is modulated (by you or by the electronics) to make the exposure correct.

As a side benefit the background can be way underexposed so as not to be a distraction.

Didn't a regular member just leave yesterday due to this nonsense.

Yep, and another one is about to take the same route.

OP, you can use a reflector to bounce light up into her eyes.

Where would you place the reflector? under her, or off to one side?

Please go back and re-read Molitor's and my posts. The idea you had is a good idea, you just need to work on the details of how to get it done.

If I did a math problem wrong, my teacher wouldn't look at the answer and say "that answer has promise". No it doesn't. Its wrong. It will always be wrong. It will never be the right answer no matter how much promise it shows.

As a former math teacher I can tell you that this is exactly wrong. Your math teachers may have done this to you, and that's a shame, but it's not what a good one will do.

If you showed your work, I can tell whether you were thinking in the right direction or not. If you made some trivial error toward the end, but were thinking in the right direction, I might give you 9/10. If you had the right idea but went about it incorrectly, maybe 5/10. In either case, I point out what's right, I point out what's wrong, and I push you in the right direction.

Kind of like critiquing a photograph. Or ANY OTHER KIND of pedagogy.

"As a side benefit the background can be way underexposed so as not to be a distraction."

I went back and viewed this photo again, and I stand by my conviction regarding this background. Without the background, the photo loses all purpose. It would be like missing the last page of a novel.
It's thrown out of focus just enough to make it undistracting, yet it actually IS the story and purpose the photo was even taken. Without it, she's just another pretty girl with a black eye and a strange blue light shining in her face.

Yep, and another one is about to take the same route.

OP, you can use a reflector to bounce light up into her eyes.

Where would you place the reflector? under her, or off to one side?

Please go back and re-read Molitor's and my posts. The idea you had is a good idea, you just need to work on the details of how to get it done.

In fact, I think I'll try this myself sometime. It'll be fun.

I'm certainly not going to argue that the critique you get on TPF is all that great. Some of it is downright terrible garbage from people who don't know a damn thing. Some of it is uninteresting commentary from people who can't get past one or two technical defects. Some of it is just annoying snarking off to garner social-awesomeness points from their annoying little buddies. There's wayyyy too much of all that stuff.

Some of it, though, is generous commentary aimed at teaching and helping. I disagree, sometimes strongly, with the content contained in these from time to time, but often the spirit in which the advice is offered is spot on.

The real ***** is sorting through it all. It must be intimidating.

If I did a math problem wrong, my teacher wouldn't look at the answer and say "that answer has promise". No it doesn't. Its wrong. It will always be wrong. It will never be the right answer no matter how much promise it shows.

As a former math teacher I can tell you that this is exactly wrong. Your math teachers may have done this to you, and that's a shame, but it's not what a good one will do.

If you showed your work, I can tell whether you were thinking in the right direction or not. If you made some trivial error toward the end, but were thinking in the right direction, I might give you 9/10. If you had the right idea but went about it incorrectly, maybe 5/10. In either case, I point out what's right, I point out what's wrong, and I push you in the right direction.

Kind of like critiquing a photograph. Or ANY OTHER KIND of pedagogy.

As my wife is a retired teacher, she insists I "like" this...LOL

... I can tell whether you were thinking in the right direction or not.

The darn "like" button has disappeared again.

"like"

As my wife is a retired teacher, she insists I "like" this...LOL

Just tell her what a shocking ******* I am, she might let you off ;) I can provide examples if you like!

Sorry for the derailing, OP. I hope you got what you needed out the thread before it went careening off into the usual bitchfest..

Same here OP, I just threw that in there to break off the hostilities. No hijack intended.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back