CF Card - Format or Delete?

I'm a big believer in formatting the card every time I put it in the camera, or whenever I download the photos over USB. This prevents corruption of the file system. When you connect your camera to the PC, who knows what Windows will do to the card...add a thumbs cache file, re-write the directory structure, or your PC may have a virus you don't know about, etc., any of which could potentially confuse the camera or corrupt the card. Formatting the card in the camera prepares the card to be used by the camera, so everything is as it should be.

Also I don't format my card until I know that all the photos are downloaded cleanly.. Delete as you download is asking for trouble.

(when I mentioned viruses before, I've never heard of one that can infect the camera, but a virus could potentially corrupt the file system on the card while it's connected to the PC.)

do you guys not have your pictures automatically deleted when downloading?

No way. If they are on my hard drive and the CF card then I have two copies. I don't reformat the card until I put it back in a camera, and I don't use a card until everything has been backed up again.

No way. If they are on my hard drive and the CF card then I have two copies. I don't reformat the card until I put it back in a camera, and I don't use a card until everything has been backed up again.

:thumbup:
Me too.

I'm a big believer in formatting the card every time I put it in the camera, or whenever I download the photos over USB. This prevents corruption of the file system. When you connect your camera to the PC, who knows what Windows will do to the card...add a thumbs cache file, re-write the directory structure, or your PC may have a virus you don't know about, etc., any of which could potentially confuse the camera or corrupt the card. Formatting the card in the camera prepares the card to be used by the camera, so everything is as it should be.
I don't know what Windows does to a CF card, but with OSX it does nothing to it but read it. I don't have to worry about viruses, but I suspect most viruses you might get will do little or nothing to your camera as it doesn't run on the XP kernel. It might store it there, but that's of little consequence since we're talking about having gotten it from an infected PC anyway.

Memory has a finite number of times it can be erased and written to before it starts to fail. This depends on the storage media, single layer cards my have 100,000 read-write actions while a multilayer card may only have 10,000 (per layer). When you format your card, you're in essence writing to every block, resetting its value. If you only delete your files, it only flags the files as deleted but leaves the state of the memory the same (doesn't write to it). Doing things this way, the memory is only written to when you actually store a new file. This is a relatively minor issue though since most memory cards will work fine through their normal expected service life (several years). But you do shorten the life span of the memory card each time you fully format it.

As already mentioned, formatting sets the memory back to zero (literally). Deleting only marks the files as no longer needed by the OS but the files are still there until something else writes over them. Should you decide later you do want something off of the card, the data can be recovered (although I've never had the need to do this).

No no no no no no no.

No.

And....no.

Cameras use a high level format. It removes the pointers and "reintializes" the card. It does not empty the card it does not write 1 & 0's to the card. If it did that, then the data recovery software available couldn't retrieve files from the drive.

It takes like 5 seconds to format a 4gb card. As slow as the camera is, it would take several minutes for it to completely do a low level format to write over all the data on drive.

It's like putting it in a Windows machine, right clicking, and choosing format. Quick format makes it look empty and takes seconds where as full format writes over the data on the drive and makes it actually empty. That takes longer.

That's why a drive is never truly empty.

When you format your card, you're in essence writing to every block, resetting its value. If you only delete your files, it only flags the files as deleted but leaves the state of the memory the same (doesn't write to it). Doing things this way, the memory is only written to when you actually store a new file. This is a relatively minor issue though since most memory cards will work fine through their normal expected service life (several years). But you do shorten the life span of the memory card each time you fully format it.

It depends on how you format the card and if you do it in camera, it does not do this.

Cameras use a high level format. It removes the pointers and "reintializes" the card. It does not empty the card it does not write 1 & 0's to the card. If it did that, then the data recovery software available couldn't retrieve files from the drive.

It takes like 5 seconds to format a 4gb card. As slow as the camera is, it would take several minutes for it to completely do a low level format to write over all the data on drive.

It's like putting it in a Windows machine, right clicking, and choosing format. Quick format makes it look empty and takes seconds where as full format writes over the data on the drive and makes it actually empty. That takes longer.

That's why a drive is never truly empty.
Ahh, thanks VI. I assumed the format wiped everything (or so I thought I read somewhere). I'll take your word for it. :)

I don't know what Windows does to a CF card, but with OSX it does nothing to it but read it.

Actually, OSX writes one or two hidden files to every folder it accesses, if you read a card in a Mac then transfer it to a PC you can see all the extra files, as long as the PC is set to show hidden files.

Me three. That is crazy to automatically delete after you download!

Also, delete does not have to be a one by one process! You can delete one at a time, or click delete all.

I don't know what Windows does to a CF card, but with OSX it does nothing to it but read it. I don't have to worry about viruses, but I suspect most viruses you might get will do little or nothing to your camera as it doesn't run on the XP kernel. It might store it there, but that's of little consequence since we're talking about having gotten it from an infected PC anyway.

No - I said a virus will not affect the camera, but it could corrupt the file system on the card, which could cause problems writing to the card if it is not formatted.

Generally, any time a card comes in contact with a computer, it should be formatted in the camera.

Hi, when I purchased my camera a year ago the salesman told me that with the CF Card I should never just delete a single picture and instead that I need to format the card in order to delete pictures.
Never believe everything a salesman tells you. Most of them just want to make a sale and a majority of them probably know less about the product than you do. A salesman who actually knows the product and knows what he's talking about is a rare thing.
Recently, I've head from people that they simply delete pictures all the time with no repercussions, and I even heard from someone that they reckon formatting the card that often could be bad for it.
Doing either process will make the CF card appear to be empty so you can fill it up again. Neither process is 'bad' for the CF card, but there is a finite amount of times flash media can be 'used' (saved to, written from) and a CF card will eventually become unusable...but that would be in terms of years and something most of us don't worry about anyway.
Is there a general consensus here on what is best to do?
I move my files from my CF card to the computer hard drive. Then I copy those files onto 4 separate external hard drives for backups (I try to have 5 copies of each RAW image file...just in case). Every once in awhile I will format the CF card in camera.

On another forum many of the members will format the CF card (or any type of memory card) every time they transfer files from it. They feel this keeps the master boot record 'clean' and reduces the chance for corrupt files. Other members feel it's not necessary to do it every time, but will do it whenever they remember to.

Which way is right? I really can't say, all I know is I've never had a problem with any of my CF cards doing things the way I do them. I know a few of my friends have had corrupt files, but their CF cards and camera equipment is much older than mine. Some of them format everytime, some only format every once in awhile, some will format only when they have a problem and some only format the CF card when they get it and never format again. Whatever works best for each person I guess.

I also just move the images from the card to the computer via card reader. I use SD and not CF. Every now and then I format the card, but not all the time. I have a card reader on my work computer as well and use my SD cards for data transfer from home to work and back also. Many times, I have had the card in the camera with other files on it. It works just fine.

Most reactions

Back