Chair/Stair from Fran's House

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Visiting friends in East Meadow, Long Island, NY yesterday. Saw the chair and stair and grabbed my a6000.
Image.jpg

I'm posting in here because of your other thread. This photo is not particularly interesting. It's hard to define a subject as a viewer. Keep posting.

I'm here too because I saw your other thread but never saw this one.

I see what you were going for here - the contrasting patterns and lines, the black of the chair and white of the railing. I do feel that it might have benefited from a lower angle, or even positioning the chair slightly to the left to have the patterns lining up in a way that highlighted the contrast a bit more. Did you take any other shots? With something like this, I find myself circling the scene, trying out a bunch of different angles/perspectives because it's hard to say which ones translate better into a 2-D image. It's just as often NOT the angle that catches your eye in the first place.

I'm here too because I saw your other thread but never saw this one.

I see what you were going for here - the contrasting patterns and lines, the black of the chair and white of the railing. I do feel that it might have benefited from a lower angle, or even positioning the chair slightly to the left to have the patterns lining up in a way that highlighted the contrast a bit more. Did you take any other shots? With something like this, I find myself circling the scene, trying out a bunch of different angles/perspectives because it's hard to say which ones translate better into a 2-D image. It's just as often NOT the angle that catches your eye in the first place.
I'm posting in here because of your other thread. This photo is not particularly interesting. It's hard to define a subject as a viewer. Keep posting.

I appreciate both comments. But I hope I get some responses directly to my other post because the question still interests me in a general i.e. not about my posts, way. I know I'm not critical enough about my photos or I wouldn't have 6320 in my "to print" file. But how much disagreement is there about the artistic merit of photos, both classics and daily posts here?

I thought the same thing, the pattern of the chair against the railing is cool but I would have shot from a lower vantage point I think. So you see the patterns first and then go, oh, it's staircase, so you don't see the steps so much. Not sure if I'd make copies and try some other crops or not.

Might work in B&W.

Go invite yourself to these people's house again...

Or keep it in the back of your mind for something similar another time.

The first thing I noticed of the pattern is how in the middle of the chair is the opening with the twisted white rod slightly off to the side. Would be better IMHO if it was right in the middle.

Also a different perspective. It looks like you were just standing there, slightly pointed down and took a shot. Move around. Try a "power" shot from the floor angling up from the side going with the stairs, or other varying angles. The hardest thing to "learn" is not just taking a snapshot (IMHO).

I think it is much stronger as a square crop (cropping off the lower part). The blue and orange are good contrasting colors and the chair breaks it up, but it is too busy at the bottom.

I missed this one. It's a square crop, spot on observation by @Dave442.

Being honest, and because you asked in your other thread. The reason I do not comment on your posts is probably best summed up by your own comment:

I clicked off three shots, in Intelligent Auto mode, one-handed, because I was walking my granddaughter's dog, and shot from across the street, through the fence around our housing development

This is what I see in many of your shots, you see something interesting and point your camera at it. It's like this shot. It's not that it's an inherently un-interesting subject but that many people have chairs at the bottom of their stairways. So what you've presented in many ways is a common sight, and perspective, that many of us see every day. It doesn't make me look at the chair at the bottom of my stairs any differently, it doesn't make me think about it, (hell, I'll probably still trip over it most mornings).

Common sights do not stand out. In many ways they blend into the background. Show a different view, one that's uncommon. ;)

Im inclined to press the back button. Knee jerk.

Truly I feel like this picture is trolling.

Perhaps I just dont understand it and I hope that is the case.

Obviously I wouldn't have commented, or even looked in the first place because the subject clearly states that yes, this is a picture of part if a chair and yes, you can see stairs in it and yes, I don't care for it, precisely because it is what it is.

Good luck and lay off the coffee?

Last edited:
Im inclined to press the back button. Knee jerk.

Truly I feel like this picture is trolling.

Perhaps I just dont understand it and I hope that is the case.

Obviously I wouldn't have commented, or even looked in the first place because the subject clearly states that yes, this is a picture of part if a chair and yes, you can see stairs in it and yes, I don't care for it, precisely because it is what it is.

I also remember pointing out ( last month?), that you are top poster and most likely experiencing burn out. This is really burnt IMO.

Good luck and lay off the coffee?
That was me you said that to, not the OP.....geez... where's my coffee?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back