Champagne Pool

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to a local volcanic area today and grabbed a few shots. Been postprocessing them all night, not sure how I feel about them yet, PP blindness has set in.

1: The Lakeside, not sure if I like my composotion here, too far away from anything of interest I think. Horizon is off a little, I straightened for the poles on the boardwalk, doh.

rotovegas001.jpg

2: Not something I would see everyday, change of pace for me with no bold colour. Was shooting side on to relflective morning sun.

rotovegas003.jpg

3. Tried this one as an HDR, 3 shots, 1 under 2 stops and 1 over 2 stops, didnt work out so I used the correctly exposed version and tweaked it, area was in full overcast shade but had bright blue skies behind, I quite liked how the sulphur shows its presence on the rocks and the water kinda bluey grey in colour.

rotovegas004.jpg

4. First of 3 very similar shots up next, first 2 are stock standard, 3rd is an attempt at HDR. This is the Champagne pool, cool colours and difficult too shoot because of the steam, location I wanted to shoot from was impossible because of the wind direction, so this side had to work.

rotovegas002.jpg

rotovegas005.jpg

4.3 The HDR attempt. +2, 0, -2

rotovegas006.jpg

C&C welcome.

Last edited:
#3. water has nice surrealistic feel to it. great colors. good angle. this is a good shot
#4.2 i like the tighter crop than the OI. also has a better range of colors than 4.1 and 4.2 (HDR). HDR version is a bit heavy on the blues.

#3. water has nice surrealistic feel to it. great colors. good angle. this is a good shot
#4.2 i like the tighter crop than the OI. also has a better range of colors than 4.1 and 4.2 (HDR). HDR version is a bit heavy on the blues.

Fixed my numbering screwup there, 4.3 is now the HDR.

Good shots, I like #3 and 4.2 as well :)

#3 and #4 are my favorites. the HDR turned out well. I still need to try this technique.

2: Not something I would see everyday, change of pace for me with no bold colour. Was shooting side on to relflective morning sun.

rotovegas003.jpg

This photo of the sea plane pilot rowing out to his aircraft...the position of the oarsman's head overlapping that smooth band of water...this photo is simply amazing. I love it!!!!!!

I agree with Derrel. The sea plane shot is fantastic! To be honest, there isn't a shot that I don't like. The sea plane is my favorite though. The angle of the shot is perfect! The composition of the water/head as Derrel pointed out is awesome. Very well done!! Thanks for sharing!!

agree with Derrel 2 is just AMAZING.

One more.

5. Was quite a dynamic weather day yesterday, and the first really cold day we have had this winter, saw this rainbow and tried to compose it as best I could at the time, I like the contrasts between the grey stormy skies, the rainbow, the colours of the Champagne Pool and the harsh rough contrast to the foreground rock/mineral buildup.

rotovegas008.jpg

Thanks for all the comments, the seaplane shot is a bit of a surprise response, but I dont disagree though as I like it as well, I had about 6 to choose from and chose that one in particular for the reasons stated above.

I digg the subjects/locations.

One thing that jumps out at me is your level of saturation of blue in the photos. It is a bit too intense IMHO, especially #3 & 4.3

Anybody jealous of where he lives?

*raises hand*

Quite enamored with #3 and of course the Sea Plane.
Beautiful work!

Anybody jealous of where he lives?

*raises hand*

Quite enamored with #3 and of course the Sea Plane.
Beautiful work!

ditto..but i can't complain.. California is a sweeeet place for photography. especially in the Bay Area!!!:mrgreen::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back