Changing the Aperture.

One_Look

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is probably the dumbest question out there!!! [[ i know i know, there is no such thing as a dumb question...]]

I have the canon rebel XTi and I keep hearing all this talk about F2.8 and changing down the aperture to this and that, and although I am not looking at my camera right now, I don't think my lens shows the F-Stops...my 25 year old canon film camera shows it all, but I don't think mine does, and how do you change ISO's on there...I am not sure how to work all the technical stuff on my camera and would really like to know....it drives me crazy not knowing!!!! :x

Modern Canon lenses don't show or set the aperture on the lens. If you look at the screen or in the viewfinder (half press the button)...you will see the aperture and shutter speed.

To change it, you need to be in aperture priority mode (Av) or manual mode.

The XTi shows the f-stop both on the LCD screen and at the bottom of the view when looking through the viewfinder. From left to right in the view finder you will see: shutter speed, aperture (f-stop), exposure level indicator (from -2 to +2) max. burst, and focus confirmation light. There are other symbols that display from time to time, but they are a bit advanced.

The lens you have listed in your signature (75-300mm) most likely will only go to 4.0 or 5.6 depending on the focal range you are using. Canon makes a 70-200mm that will go to f/2.8 for it's entire focal range, but it is very expensive.

ISO - There is a button on the back of your camera marked "ISO" and if you push it you will see the different ISO's you can change to.

The Canon website has the manual online for down load in a PDF format.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much!

--And I HAVE read the manual, and as I read I practice the stuff with the camera, but I guess maybe my memory isn't that great after only one practice round for each thing...Gimme a break! haha.

Show no mercy, give no quarter, take no prisoners... but Slurpee breaks are ok.

I can also recommend this book to you.

Most reactions

Back