Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Billy Gardiner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

This is my first post at TPF and I think I will be here very often in the future to enhance my photography abilities. I have had the Canon Digital Rebel XT for a couple years now and have the kit 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II NON-IS lens that came with as well as the 50mm 1.8 II that I JUST got and am having a blast with! Anyway, I am leaving for Africa, specifically South Africa in a city named Stellenbosch near Cape Town, in two weeks and I am going to be there for seven months and I am looking for an inexpensive telephoto lens to bring with me for wildlife photography. I have narrowed it down to three options and I was hoping that everyone in this lovely community would be able to assist me in choosing the right one. The contenders are:

Tamron AF 70-300mm 4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom (Amazon for $160)

Canon EF 75-300mm 4.0-5.6 III (Amazon for $140)

Canon EF 70-210mm f/4 (Craigslist for $100)

In regards to the 70-210mm, I am still waiting on an email back as to whether it is the f/4 or f/3.5-4.5 USM but I talked the person down to $70 if no one "bids" $100 on it the next few days. Thinking about just saying I would pay $85 for it today but I don't know if that older leans is really worth it if I could afford to but one of the other two above, although the cheapest option of the 70-210mm is quite appealing. So what do you guys think? Which would be your choice given the three (or four I guess since the 70-210mm is unknown) listed?

EDIT: It is the Canon 70-210mm f/4 lens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I did look into the 55-250mm IS but it is a little bit out of my price range right now, especially when the other three lenses are placed in front of me instead.

I was really liking the price point of the 75-300mm III but I am really leaning towards the 70-210mm f/4. If I can actually get it at 70 or 85 dollars, it seems like a steal considering its fixed aperture and the amount of zoom (f/4 @ 210mm SOUNDS nice) but my main concern is the age of the lens. The 70-210mm f/4 started in like '87 and though this could be as young as '99, I worry about not only the length of time it has left in it but also the technology used at the time versus the technology we have today. Any thoughts on the 70-210mm in particular or would most people shy away from that one?

Thanks again for any input at all!

-Billy-

i would get a 300mm over the 210. that extra 90mm will really help with wildlife.

i'd get which ever 300, as long as it had image stabilization. the difference without it is quite noticeable at 300mm.

From the poll results, it looks as though everyone really likes the 75-300mm Canon but the reviews seem mixed on Amazon. Do the people who have this lens find it to be a good lens and if so, are there any tips that could be passed to ensure a happy purchase should I buy this lens?

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS is a much better lens than the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III. The 75-300mm is often pointed to as Canon's worst currently-offered lens. The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS is so much sharper that images shot at 250mm with the 55-250 show more detail than images shot at 300mm with the 75-300. The extra focal length doesn't make up the difference in quality.

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4.-5.6 IS is currently only $200, new.
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/01168/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f4-5.6-IS-price.html

ok.. based on your needs and original question/post, I am recommending that 300mm.. that extra range could provide you with a wealth of great pictures... keyword is COULD.

At that range using the camera handheld without image stabilization and a tripod can be extremely difficult; expect a lot of blurry pictures. Your going to Africa, a place you probably dont go to often, I would take this once in a life time opportunity and make sure that I can photograph it well and invest in some good glass. The 70-200 2.8 is probably WAY WAY WAY out of your price range but if you are serious about your photos than you may look into it.

Otherwise, Amazon.com: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo the 55-250mm IS is only a bit more and that Image Stabilization is going to make a HUGE difference. Yeah, you are sacrificing some range and this completely goes against my prior recommendation, but I think this will make you happiest.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 75-300 and I'm not too happy with it. Its pretty soft @ 300mm, even shooting at f/8. I am actively seeking a replacement. A few people have told me the 55-250 IS is a better lens for the money, so I am pursuing that route.

Most reactions

Back