Cheating?

I manipulate like 80% of the scenes I photograph to some extent before I photograph them. This doesn't seem any particularly different to me than bending a bush branch that's in your shot or picking up a gum wrapper that doesn't fit the mood, or posing a model.

Part of composition is manipulation.

Whether or not it's environmentally sound seems questionable, despite what that officer said. But photographically, whatever.

Cheating? Maybe. Getting a unique shot? probably not, since all the photographers will be shooting the same thing once the fish is launched into the river.
Also, I think, this is like bear hunting. You can bait them then shoot them. Overall in my opinion, doing something (in this case shooting and eagle snatching a non-baited prey) would be more fulfilling.

Well if they are just shooting the fish out to attract the Eagles I'd say no, I mean granted it is a bit more elaborate than hanging your average bird feeder but it is basically the same concept, just a bit grander in scale. I doubt anyone would consider the bird feeder "cheating".

Now if they are shooting down the Eagles in flight with this fish cannon.. then.. hmm.. lol

Well if they are just shooting the fish out to attract the Eagles I'd say no, I mean granted it is a bit more elaborate than hanging your average bird feeder but it is basically the same concept, just a bit grander in scale. I doubt anyone would consider the bird feeder "cheating".

Now if they are shooting down the Eagles in flight with this fish cannon.. then.. hmm.. lol

That would sure give some interesting pictures though. :p

It's only cheating if you claim you spent 6 months tracking in the depths of the forests and on the open water to get the photo you took. Otherwise its just a photo of an event.

On a well known bird photo forum people will post if a shot was "baited" along with the EXIF info. It is a common practice.

Seems fair. The photographer wants an eagle shot and the eagle wants a free meal.

That would sure give some interesting pictures though. :p

Yup, it's all just good fun. Well until they get ticked off and organize a counterattack. Lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

It should be noted that some animals are almost impossible to photograph without the use of baits/lures/camera traps. Some are so elusive of human contact that its very hard to get a clear photograph of them through methods like tracking let alone a good quality photograph.

The use of lures to draw animals to a more desirable location and the use of things like camera traps, especially in dense environments where you can't simply sit back with an 800mm lens and shoot from afar or for animals that are highly hostile/weary of any human contact; these are all things used widely in the field.

As said its not how you did it but the honesty with the method you used.

........ Well until they get ticked off and organize a counterattack. Lol

Hey, if a bunch of eagles want to start lauching 500, 600, 800 and 1,000mm lenses at a crowd of photographers, I doubt any of us would complain.

Sent from MyOuthouse using SkidPaper 2.3

........ Well until they get ticked off and organize a counterattack. Lol

Hey, if a bunch of eagles want to start lauching 500, 600, 800 and 1,000mm lenses at a crowd of photographers, I doubt any of us would complain.

Sent from MyOuthouse using SkidPaper 2.3

Now there is an event I'd pay to photograph. Lol

Most reactions

Back